We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kolkata
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Hi,

Im travelling to Abu Dhabi for a couple of days on some official work. My questions are -

1. Can I buy sim card from Dubai and use it in Abu Dhabi ?? Or is it better to buy from AD ?

2. What are the charges for a sim? Mostly need it for data...

3. Is wifi freely available in Dubai and AbuDhabi ??

Thanks in advance

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Buy a pre-paid sim card, they work anywhere. You can either buy them from DU or Etisalat.

For charges you need to go to DU and Etisalat, they offer different options.

Internet access through Wifi is free in some coffees. For your hotel you need to contact the hotel directly.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Both Dubai and abu dhabi are covered by same telecom operators Etisalat and Du. So does not matter where you buy from. In terms of price expect to pay about 99 dirhams for 1G valid for 1 month or 100MB for 29 dirhams if your stay is short with light usage. Several coffee shops in malls like Starbucks offer free wifi if you buy from them.

kolkata
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

Thanks... thats very helpful.

As I'm going for just 2 days, I guess the 250 MB plan would be just fine

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

I had some trouble buying a SIM card from Etisalat as I didn't have a visa stamp in my passport as a tourist.

I had to get a metro the Mall of the Emirates and speak to someone in the Etisalat booth they sorted one out for me, they just take a copy of your passport.

It was 140 AED for the sim with inclusive minutes and 1gb of data.

Hope this helps.

5. Re: Sim cards and wifi in Dubai/Abu Dhabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:15