We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Hi there, regular in Dubai since 96 for work & holidays and have done most of the usual trips and visits.

However organising a fairly large family group visit for September and could use some pointers on what the latest 'best' options for Desert Safari and Dhow Cruise are please?

Have done the Al Mansour Dhow....the one that used to go from the old Intercontinental (Radisson a few years ago) and a couple of others that I forget, one that went from close to the Heritage Village. Also done a couple of Arabian Adventure desert trips and also a couple others with companies I forget.

Seems the market is full of many new options but I'm struggling to find a really solid one or one that really stands out a bit or is just that bit special or different. Currently looking at the one organised by Platinum Heritage that looks quite upmarket although a little pricey.

Anyone have any up to date suggestions / recommendations (or avoids) in these areas please? Pressure is a little higher for me this time as instead of 3 or 4 persons (easy to mange)...I have 20 of them to please!!! You can imagine. Help and advice very gratefully received.

OceanAir Travels
City Tours, Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours
Platinum Heritage Luxury Tours and Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris, Night Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Dubai Private Tour
Cultural Tours, Safaris, City Tours, Private Tours, Night Tours
Dubai Private Adventure
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, City Tours, Safaris, Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

For something different and special then I would say Platinum Heritage are the company to go for.

One thing I would say is that September is still low and with a booking for 20 people I would be looking to negotiate a deal with companies rather than paying the advertised rate per person.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Have you tried Bateau Dubai? They receive good reviews. Bateau Dubai is a luxurious one deck closed boat (probably better in Sept) with food served a la carte (4 course). I believe they charge around 330 dirhams pp provided they have not increased prices lately. By the way, since you are a group of 20, try to utilize the 2 for 1 voucher for some of you as they do not allow more than 4 vouchers to be used per reservation.

Another advise: Try to contact the companies directly and ask for group discount as well for the desert safari and the Dinner Cruise.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Hi there and thanks for the reply. Had read about that one and looks good from the pictures. Definitely worth a further read up on.

Also good advice on vouchers, I hadn't even thought about that...you mean Groupon type vouchers? Are they available freely?

Strangely I did contact Arabian Adventures to pool book dhow, desert & helicopter and a couple of thigns and they were very luke warm over being interested and certainly no indication of discounts. Surprised me a bit but did not look further than them and maybe others will be more accommodating...is good advice

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

https:/…Entertainer-Dubai-2014

chk above link. It show you the categories included and even the full list of restaurants, cafés, entertainment, etc in the book. The full book costs 395 dirhams and some people sell individual vouchers on ebay.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Brilliant yes I used a couple of these for Aquaventure a couple years back...never thought about that.

Is a super idea and I have to say the budget has been going out the window some and this is exactly the things I need be thinking about to bring it back on course.

I saw an Aerogulf Groupon offer for the helicopter trips but it was out of date. Do you know if they those sort offers come round fairly regularly? That would be a super saving.

But for sure I'm going to take a look through the entertainer options and I've just listed on Groupon.

Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

There are many reputable companies doing desert safaris, if Arabian Adventures aren't amenable to doing a group discount then shop around - you'll find plenty of threads on the forum about good (and bad) companies.

Have some caution with Groupon offers, I've read many posts on various forums about people not getting what they thought they were going to get. Of course many satisfied Groupon customers may not post but it's worth doing a Google search and deciding if it's worth going with their offers (which do come round frequently but I never use them so don't know if/how often specific offers are repeated).

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

No one knows exactly when the helicopter Groupon offers are but usually they are more in the off season.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

Hi there, apologies late reply.

Yes I picked up on some frustration with some of the desert /groupon offers, especially with pick ups. We would definitely need pick up from hotel as we have such a wide group and ages.

It may have just been the guy we spoke with who didn't show much interest and that was over a year ago so it maybe worth me giving them another go.

Many thanks for the advice

9. Re: Old Question - New answers? - Desert Safari / Dhow Cruise...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:15