We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

Hello all!

I have been researching our honeymoon in Dubai for several months now and we have just booked our plane tickets. We are traveling from New York to Bangkok - 4 nights there and 7 nights at the Taj in Maldives. We are staying 3 nights in Dubai on the way home.

After hearing something about not being able to hold hands in the city I did a bit more research and saw that public displays of affection are forbidden! I totally respect this, just don't know if that's the best thing to end our honeymoon with. Plus I didn't feel that there was too much to do within Dubai city but shop and being from NYC we have plenty of great shopping here! I would however love to visit the traditional Souks. (spice, fabric, gold) & also see the palm islands.

Therefore we are going to book the Al Maha - desert resort outside of the city and named as the top ten romantic hotel stays. Looking forward to seeing the animals on the reserve and being in a more traditional environment. Plus I also heard the food is absolutely fantastic.

Our main issue is that we would love to see Dubai city on the last day as we have a very late flight home. So would it be possible to return from the desert early morning and do everything "must do" in one day & dinner) ? Our flight to NYC is at 2AM so I figure that would give us enough time to have a fabulous dinner (Culinary Flight at the Burj Al Arab). Some may say a 5 hour dinner is a waste of time when we only have one night there - or is it worth it? Also, if we were to just have a regular dinner at the Burj, any unique places that are nearby where we can have a drink with a beautiful view?

Another issue is that of luggage. Would we be able to roll it around with us all day? Or is there a possibility of checking the luggage in with emirates early in the day and then going on with our exploring? How far is the airport from the major activities?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as we don't have much time & I want to make the most of every minute!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

You 'heard' something about not being able to hold hands in the city and decided to do some research, which led you to understand that public displays of affection were 'forbidden' - what a shame you didn't come here first for your research as that is nonsense.

Public displays of affection are not forbidden, you can hold hands and show affection - a kiss on the check or a hug is fine.

What you can't do is stop in the middle of a mall for a tonsil inspection and a grope - if you would do that in New York then I guess you should worry about being in Dubai. However, assuming that you behave with self respect and modesty in New York then you have nothing to worry about as far as Dubai is concerned.

So you've chosen to stay outside the city because you thought you couldn't hold hands - that's fine and Al Maha is very beautiful and a lovely choice for a honeymoon BUT around 1 hours drive from Dubai.

It is just not possible to do all of the must do's in one day as there is far more to Dubai than just shopping but if one day is what you have then you could go into the city on one of your other days or stick with your original plan and go in on the day you leave.

Sticking with your original plan and because you are flying Emirates you can check in up to 24 hours before your flight time, drop your luggage and then head into Dubai.

I really wouldn't bother with the culinary flight unless you really want to take a plane journey after a huge meal and the food in Burj al Arab, whilst very nice, is very expensive in comparison to other lovely restaurants. Also spending the entire evening in Burj al Arab will mean that you miss one of Dubai's top attractions - the evening fountain shows at Dubai Mall - and the lake is surrounded by some very lovely restaurants with a lot of choice of cuisine style.

I wouldn't bother with the Palm Islands either, there is nothing to see except residential property and some hotels. You can't go down the fronds as they a security gated and for residents only. From ground level you don't even get the impression of a Palm.

Allow 1 hour to get to the airport and the formalities of dropping your luggage and then getting a taxi. It would really help to have a plan of what you want to do. and this will work providing it is not a Friday.

You could go straight from the airport to the spice and gold souk. then when you have finished there take an abra across the creek to the Bur Dubai abra station, which is next to the textile souk.

Then I would jump in a cab and ask to go to Burj al Arab for photographs, specifying that you want to travel along the beach road and past Jumeirah Mosque. You can keep the same cab or get out and get another one but after Burj al Arab the taxi could take you to the marina and past the Palm island - you may not even notice you have gone past it from ground level.

Then I would head for Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa - if you want to go up Burj Khalifa then you could go to the observation deck (this needs to be booked) or for drinks at At.Mosphere depending on your timings.

I would then come down and watch a couple of fountain shows before enjoying a chilled out dinner in Souk al Bahar - your choice here could be Thai, Asian, Lebanese, English, Italian, Fish, Argentinian and others - followed by drinks in Calabar lounge bar at the Adddress Downtown, where if you wish you can also enjoy shisha. The vibe is very chilled at Calabar.

You would need to leave this area at 11.30pm to be at the airport in 20 minutes and in time to go through security for your onward flight.

Have a great time - and hopefully you will leave wondering why you thought Dubai was such a difficult place for a honeymooning couple to go to. You will find the city to be as cosmopolitan as any other major city.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

Thank you! Would there be a certain restaurant that has the best view of the fountain?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

If you like Thai food I recommend Thiptara in the Palace hotel. It is actually on the fountain lake. You need to book a good time in advance and request a table with their best fountain view. Other options include Revington Grill which is modern English cuisine or Abdel Wahab for Lebanese cuisine both are in Souk Al Bahar first floor so you get an elevated view. If you want casual ones but are unlicensed (maybe not for honeymooners) then TGI Fridays has one of the best views from dubai mall 2 level, also Joe's cafe in Dubai mall.

I would go for Thiptara for the views and romantic dinner. Book early. Enjoy.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

I'll second Thiptara in the Palace at the old town hotel for the best fountain views - not sure when you are going and if it is during summer then it may be too hot and humid to sit outdoors for any length of time. No matter because you can sit inside and then go on to the terrace to watch as many shows as you want.

They happen every evening from 6pm at 30 minute intervals until 11pm and 11.30pm on Thursday and Friday.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

Latimer it's in November 2014 (mentioned in title/subject) So weather wise it will be perfect for outside seating. I, too missed it at the beginning :)

Edited: 10 May 2014, 08:59
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

Too engrossed in writing replies to see the title too - sorry !

November will be perfect for sitting outside on the terrace at Thiptara - only wish I could be there too.

* That means on the terrace at Thiptara and not on your honeymoon* That would be taking destination expert a bit too far.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 09:05
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

November is perfect indeed. Just whenever you're booking something, make sure you mention that you're on your honeymoon.

I suggest that you do a desert safari as it's unique to this region and different from the other places you'll be visiting during your honeymoon. There are several companies that do safaris, I recommend Platinum Heritage as one of the nicest out there- you'll be picked up from your hotel and dropped off there afterwards.

http://platinum-heritage.com/

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

For safari experience with dune bashing, belly dancing, etc. you could check Arabian Adventures.

https:/…dubai.aspx

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

I wouldn't bother booking a desert safari if I was staying at Al Maha - you will see the desert everyday anyway and you get a desert safari included as one of your 2 free daily activities

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Dubai - November 2014

I wouldn't decide for you, but you could make a decision after looking into the details of the safari (or rather, dune drive) offered at AlMaha relative to those offered by other safari companies. That is, of course, if you are interested in a safari experience.