We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Dubai really like?

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is Dubai really like?

Hi all, i am going to dubai with a girl friend of mine and we are a bit worried about all the laws of what to wear and not to wear. We both do not walk about in bikinis all day but due to Heath want to wear shorts and strap tops. Is this going to be ok. Also what about going on nights out? Also we will both be first timers to Dubai any recommendation of accom and things to do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Dubai really like?

Hello,

Three quarter pants and blouse covering shoulders would be more appropriate for the day time,

Night time is much more liberal. You can wear shorter dresses or skirts. Better to catch cab from hotel to where you going out too for the evening.

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Dubai really like?

Thanks Mark. I will try to make sure I wear maxi dresses day time. Where do you recommend to stay?

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Dubai really like?

Thanks Mark. I will try to make sure I wear maxi dresses day time. Where do you recommend to stay?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Dubai really like?

It depends. if you are in malls, they do have dress code to cover your shoulders and no shorts although I do see ladies in shorts walking in malls, but security might ask you to cover up so preferable to wear long shorts above the knees.

if you are in hotels or on the beach then shorts and strap tops are fine.

where to stay will depend on your budget in order for people to suggest places. also, do you want a place central or on the beach.

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Dubai really like?

We will be looking at both options either way would like somewhere with a pool. Currently looking to spend $150 at most per night.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Dubai really like?

A friend of mine, who lives in Dubai, once went with me across town, on metros and into the Mall of Emirates with just a small strap shirt and a very short.. shorts. I was actually worried, but absolutely nothing happened. No one was even paying attention. No looks, no complaints, nothing. Even on the full metro. Though, she did mention she got fined once for going out like that. :) In my experience, they are very flexible (in Dubai) and even if you are doing something you shouldn't, someone will approach and warn you, quite politely. So, if you go out in something you think might be "pushing it", try to bring something more appropriate to put over if asked.

Of course, I can absolutely not guarantee you would not be fined on sight. Another friend told me that Phillipino guys in the police/security are far less flexible than anyone else. So it could be just a matter of luck.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Dubai really like?

Philipino guys in the UAE police ?

I thought you had to be Emirati to be in the police ? If the person was a Philipino then they would only be a community officer and not a serving policeman with any powers - and certainly not high ranking.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Dubai really like?

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I did write "police/security" as I'm not sure. But they did have powers to fine my friend. :) The point was no one can be sure inappropriate clothing will not be fined. There are many different experiences for riding bikes, too, with seemingly every police officer having his own version of rules. Again, I didn't have any problems myself, but many people did.

Blackpool, uk
Level Contributor
89 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Dubai really like?

So I'm not gonna be able to walk around in shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops? I know I have to dress accordingly for meals and such, but just to walk about??

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Dubai really like?

@sammy it's not an issue for males, you can walk around in shorts and flip flops in malls or streets. It's females that need to be careful what they wear. In certain areas.