We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dysentery in Dubai!

Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Dysentery in Dubai!

I have just returned from a 10 night holiday in Dubai and unfortunately I came home with Dysentery!

My symptoms began 2 days before we were due to fly home. I was extremely ill with a fever and very severe diarrhoea, no vomiting but very nauseous. The thought of the 7 hour flight home terrified me (given my need to be near a toilet!) but we managed to get some Immodium and the flight was uneventful!

However, all the symptoms returned within a few hours of being at home and I saw my GP. I'm very glad I did as she prescribed me some antibiotics and felt it necessary for a test to be done to determine what was causing my illness.

The result came back and it was confirmed as Shigella, better known as Dysentery. We have absolutely no idea how or where I contracted this illness, it could've been at any restaurant we ate at or the hotel swimming pool/jacuzzi.

I did contact the Dubai Municipality explaining that I had contracted Dysentery, but have not yet received a reply, which is disappointing, especially as I've had to fill in a 4 page questionnaire for my own local health authority!

It was a very unfortunate end to a really lovely holiday in Dubai!

London, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

Good grief! I hope you feel better soon.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

Not good at all. Hope you getting better fast.

There are a couple more options where and how you could have caught the bacteria.

In the UK dysentery is a notifiable disease. I do not think it is the same in the UAE.

The Dubai Municipality will likely come back with a bit of delay. And in all fairness there is not too much information you can give them except something along the lines of 'I caught it somewhere in Dubai during my holiday'.

Level Contributor
261 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

A lot of people think they are likely to be more at risk in hot countries, but beware as this isn't always the case as I once caught dysentery in Leningrad (St Petersburg) back in 1974. With Dubai being a world hub it's likely you may have had contact with a carrier. I've never had cause to question the level of hygiene in Dubai but I never use swimming pools as they are only as clean as the last person to use them.

I think you have had terrible bad luck and sincerely wish you a rapid recovery.

Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

That's dreadful and as you say the thought of a 7 hour flight feeling poorly isn't good. Hope you get well soon and make a full recovery.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

Do you normally contact the authorities if you've got the pharaohs revenge? I don't think I can normally lift a telephone receiver or put a pen to paper!

I don't think people need worry about travelling to Dubai as much as those with expectations of infection such as Africa, South America etc. Lets chalk it up to unfortunate events.

6. Re: Dysentery in Dubai!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor