We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

My family and I are flying into Dubai Christmas Day and leaving January 2nd. During this time, I'm thinking about taking a small trip to Doha, as I know it's another one of the budding cities in the Middle East, and I would like to take a road trip across the desert.

However, is there enough to do in Doha? Is it worth driving through Saudi Arabia to go explore? What kind of visas would I need to get? Is a visa necessary if all I'm doing is driving to Qatar? Can I drive there with a rental car?

Thanks for your help!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,872 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

If you really want to go to Doha, fly with Qatar and have a stopover in Doha. Its the easiest way to combine it with a holiday in Dubai.

As for driving anywhere that includes crossing Saudi Arabia borders you are entering a visa nightmare.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

As stated above, Qatar Airways is your best bet for seeing Doha. You will need to check the Qatar Visa requirements - it's a long list of occupations. Two (2) days may be enough for Doha although I went for a weekend and left after 24 hours. I had just seen enough and taxis used to be difficult to get in Doha.

Driving from the UAE to Saudi Arabia is a 14-16 hour trek and it's not picturesque. I've never had to inquire about visas for Saudi because I had a sponsor when I lived there. You can inquire about a business visa but a tourist visa, I don't know about or if it's even possible.

Check with the Saudi Consulate in New York City. I can tell you that any type of Visa for Saudi Arabia is a very long process so be patient. I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for many years so I can answer a few questions for you.

Lastly, you don't have a lot of time for side trips to Saudi Arabia and Qatar much less by road. I say you enjoy your stay in the UAE and drive to Emirates like Fujairah and Abu Dhabi.

Hope that helps.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Awesome, great info. I'll be looking into flights to Doha, as they're only an hour long.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,882 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Fly. It will be very difficult/impossible to get visas for KSA.

Rather than Doha, if you want to see another part of the Gulf I'd suggest Muscat, Oman.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

As per above, rather consider a trip to Oman.

Forget about driving to Doha. Besides visa issues, car rental issues and documentation issues you will see nothing. The road is really important for trucks to deliver goods in both directions. Drivers are working very long hours, speed drive and the trucks are frequently in less than road worthy conditions. Don't even think about.

If you see Dubai, Doha is likely not really worth the trip. Oman would be a nice contrast to Dubai, so.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Another strong vote for Oman here, much more to see and do.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,063 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

And yet another vote for Oman. Lovely place and much better than Doha.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Thanks for all the help! Doha seems to be too much effort to get to, but Oman has been catching my eye. What's there to do in Oman, and how is it different from Dubai?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Oman is peaceful and tranquil, nice place to relax and gather some thoughts. It's mountainous and picturesque with some beautiful Wadis to drool over and some people take a dip in them.

I used to visit Muscat, Oman on the weekends to escape the skyscraper boom in Dubai :-). There are no highrise buildings in Oman, at least not while I was living in the Middle East :-). The best way to explain Oman is that it's a traditional Islamic state with traditional Islamic architecture.

I've heard great things about Salalah, Oman and its gorgeous beaches but never made it there since Muscat also has nice beaches.

Hotel recommendations in Muscat are 'The Chedi' and the 'Shangri La Bar Al Jissah' that has a couples only resort attached to it. The Chedi is my favourite.

I agree with the above comments, I would drive to Oman (about a five (5) hour drive or a 45 minute flight) over Qatar anyday. As stated, I went to Oman regularly for weekends but left Doha after 24 hours during my weekend trip there. There was not much to do or see in Doha.

Hope that helps.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 day trip to Doha while staying in Dubai - Worth it?

Another vote for Oman. Although i would suggest Mussandam (which technically is a part of oman) where you can have a dive, swim with the dolphins, etc. There is lots to see and do in UAE itself. Fujairah, Dibba, Hatta etc.