We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Hi,

I am planning to bring my boys, ages 6, 11 and 13 to Dubai in July. This will be our first time and I will be traveling alone with them. Questions:

1) Is it safe for a woman traveling alone with 3 kids?

2) Where should we stay for easiest access to restaurants, malls etc. Somewhere central? I am thinking of Jumeriah Beach hotel. Is this the best option?

3) How many days should we plan for? Min/Max?

4) What are the things that we must see and do? I know there are lots to do in Dubai, but perhaps something that are more relevant for my 11 and 13 years old? They don't prefer museums but more of being able to do stuff. Of course, some shopping for me as well :)

5) Do I have to book in advance for these attractions? Book online?

6) As I won't be driving, is it easy to get around to visit these attractions/malls? By taxi?

7) Should I book for airport transfer or just take a taxi from the airport?

Any other useful information, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,049 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

1. Yes, perfectly safe

2 Jumeirah Beach hotel isn't central but it is the most central of the beach hotels and has free access to Wild Wadi and a great kids club. Ultimately, your budget will dictate where you can stay.

3. As many as you want. 3 days minimum up to whatever you want

4. Read the top questions to the right of the posts page, especially the section on things for kids to do

5. It depends which attractions you do but the only one that is essential to book on line in advance is Burj Khalifa

6. It is easy to travel around Dubai by metro or taxi

7. Just take a taxi from the organised rank at the airport.

Read the top questions for Dubai and be aware that it will be Ramadan when you are planning to be there.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 16:30
Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Do note the point about Ramadan. Eating and drinking are not permitted in public during daylight hours, so your kids may struggle with the heat, humidity and dehydration if you're out all day.

All international hotels will have segregated areas for guests to eat and drink, so I'd plan to do morning activities then go to a hotel for lunch and rehydration, then back out again in the afternoon. Lots of activities will stay open late into the night, if your kids can take the pace.

I think they'd certainly like the aquarium and maybe ice skating too, but don't expect to spend much time outside. It's like Singapore heat and humidity, only worse.

Make sure to do your research about Ramadan opening hours and hotel facilities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Hi, it's perfectly safe for a women to travel alone with children. I have done it and will be again in August : )

You may want to try Kidzania, Segaworld and Goal (if they like football). These are all in the Dubai Mall. However all malls have a variety of things. They may also like a Desert Safari. There really is a lot to do. We are only doing 8 days and I am struggling with my itinerary, as I will struggle to fit it all in! Dubai is a great place for families, you will have a great time : )

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Thank you all for your replies and the info, especially about Ramadan. So is it preferred not to be there during Ramadan?

Other than getting the Entertainer, is there any card we need to purchase for e.g. for the metro, or it is easier to just buy when we want to take it?

Happytraveller403, I think I will do 8 days as well and then have some excuse to come back again! :). What will be your top 10 places (will do Goal and Segaworld) to see and do for my boys? I think they have outgrown Kidzania - I have brought them to similar thing like that in Japan and they were bored.

And which main shopping malls should I go to?

Thank you all once again.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

I don't think anyone will advise you to not visit during Ramadan as it will depend on your own assessment.

Thousands of people visit Dubai during Ramadan every year and fully enjoy their vacations. Ramadan is a very special time of the year here and the atmosphere is quite festive, especially during the evenings. That said, some people may still find Ramadan restrictions too challenging, especially during the super hot months. It is very subjective.

Personally, I wouldn't visit during Ramadan if I had the choice.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

Ramadan is fine as long as you're prepared.You won't be able to just grab a coffee or bite to eat on the move, so you have to plan ahead, especially with younger kids.

- plan where you will take breakfast, lunch and dinner - i.e. which hotel, based on where you plan to be at the time

- take water and energy bars in your bag and hide in the mall bathroom :-)

- make it an adventure challenge for the kids and get them involved in the planning

Get re-loadable Nol cards if you plan on using the metro. Much easier than buying tickets for each trip. There are plenty of articles here about the metro.

The two main malls are Dubai mall (1400 stores ?) and Mall of the Emirates. Those should keep you busy for a couple of days !

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

For kids activities try Sega Repubic in dubai mall www.segarepublic.com/

Magic planet in mall of Emirates.

Also ski dubai in mall of Emirates. http://www.skidubai.com/

In dubai creek park check out www.childrencity.ae but maybe your kids are old for this. Also in the same park there is http://www.dubaidolphinarium.ae

8. Re: Itinerary Suggestion with 3 Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:15