We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

What is cheaper in a Dubai than back in the UK. I'm not really thinking high end designer goods (well yes I am, if they considerably cheaper) but more like make up brands, jeans, bags perfumes etc. Has anyone grabbed themselves a real bargain or is it like some posts I've seen, it's cheaper here.

Deborah

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

I think you will be disappointed, most things are cheaper in UK especially the items you mention.

My hubbie has bought a few watches and they are cheaper than the UK (Tag, Breitling) and jewellery can be cheaper and often better quality.

Most of the malls have the same shops you will get back in The UK and have approx. 20% higher prices than back home.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

The NON BRANDED gold jewellery available in Dubai is far cheaper than in the UK and is of a higher gold grade than is available in the UK. The same is true for jewellery with precious stones.

Arabic Perfumes are plentiful and cost a fraction of what you would pay in the West. Same for Bakhoors which are room fragrances.

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

I believe the Dirahm rate is linked to the dollar and when the rate was nearly $2 to £1 a few years back everything was unbelievably cheaper obviously due to the currency.

I bought TAG watches and a Jaeger Lecoultre watch which were hugely cheaper and saved £1,000's especially with some haggling even in the a Official Shops even though they say they aren't supposed to.

We used to buy a lot of higher end clothes too mainly from Le Boulevard in the Emirate Towers (especially cheap during the Summer Surprises event) but now we don't bother shopping because we feel most things are cheaper at home.

Fingers crossed the £ gets stronger as I'm itching to treat myself to a new watch ;o)

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

The pound is creeping up against the dollar (1.70) and hence the Dirham too (6.20) so you may notice a slight benefit.

My strategy would be not to waste money on dining out all the time unless that is part of your holiday. Buy your full d/f allowance on arrival, self cater a few meals from the supermarket, don't go to Starbucks 5 times a day and watch out for credit card charges - use cash where possible.

These could easily add up to a few hundred pounds over the course of a holiday, leaving you more to spend on shiny stuff.

@tonymul ... if that's a JLeC Reverso then I'm very happy for you and very envious :-)

Edited: 21 June 2014, 10:22
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

Do the sales during Ramadan make the goods cheaper than UK ? i.e. in the malls ?Have been looking forward to shopping in the evenings esp with the shops opening to 1am :)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

Not necessarily.

It will still depend on the strength of the dirham against the £ or the Euro and whether or not you want something enough to pay for it regardless of whether it is cheaper or not - so you may see something you haven't seen at home in which case you'll buy it and be pleased with the price or you may see something you can buy at home, work out that it would be cheaper to get it when you get home and not buy it.

You may find some stores much cheaper (e.g Dune, Nine West - always seem to be cheaper for shoes in Dubai than they are in UK) and then others (such as Marks and Spencer or Zara) are more expensive

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

I always buy gold jewellery and silk scarves.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

I haven't found a store that can beat the Saks (Mall of Emirates) shoe department shoe sale. Their designer shoe sale is usually towards the end of the season so the next one should be in August if you're in Dubai then. My shoes worked out cheaper than if bought in Canada so for certain, it's cheaper than in the UK.

I only used to buy my shoes at Saks when I lived in Dubai because I knew that I would get designer brands for a fraction of the price I'd pay in North America. I've enjoyed 90% off shoe sales at Saks Dubai and Saks Riyadh.

9. Re: What have you bought that is cheaper than uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:17