We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank of Scotland Cards

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
356 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bank of Scotland Cards

Hi there,

Can anyone please confirm or not if there is somewhere we can withdraw cash using our BOS debit cards.

Thankyou in advance

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

I assume they have the Visa or Mastercard logo ? If so, the answer is "everywhere".

But ... I would ask your bank about charges while abroad, because they may be eye-watering. They'll probably charge you a withdrawal fee, a foreign fee plus a dreadful exchange rate.

Make sure you phone and tell them you're going abroad so that they don't block your cards for security reasons.

Try to limit your use of cards to larger purchases and use cash for incidentals. I also recommend thinking about getting a local prepaid Visa card if you like the convenience and security of using a card.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

With it being a debit card then actually the charges aren't that bad - maybe 1.5 or 2% and in perspective that is £2 in every hundred.

I use ATMs all over Dubai to take money out and £ for £ it often works out more competitive than changing sterling into dirham in the UK.

Different to a credit card, which I would never advise anyone to withdraw money on.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 10:36
Giffnock, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Just spoke to RBS, they have one set fee of 2.5% of the purchase price, no other transaction fees applicable. Which is not that bad really. Latimer I take it I could go to the currency exchange in Dubai mall and use my visa card to purchase further currency if required. Trying to work out if I would be charged fees twice instead of the one for using a ATM.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

I wouldn't ever use a credit card to get money, even in the UK. You don't get an interest free period, like you do for purchases in a restaurant and shops, when you use it for money and pay interest from the day the money is withdrawn.

Giffnock, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Sorry, it's a Visa Debit, RBS current account card.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

In that case I would just go to an ATM machine and not bother going to an exchange house.

But that's what I would do and is just my thoughts - you need to do what you think is best

Edited: 23 June 2014, 19:08
Giffnock, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Thanks for that, suppose just use an ATM. Will probably avoid going to the Malls with the kids, during the day. Would rather leave that till evening, during Ramadan. If I need anything just get it them, will change over currency at arrivals entering Dubai.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Maybe I've been embittered by Santander, But that's another story.

Also, ask your bank if they have a preferred partner in the UAE. It may be by using their ATMs you'll get lower charges or a better rate. Doesn't hurt to ask.

e.g. although they've just sold their UAE retail arm to ADCB, Barclay's still have their own branded ATMs here for the moment

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Gerry

I think there is an ATM machine in the JBH but maybe my memory is playing tricks. If there isn't one there then there are several in the Madinat souk next door so no need to go to a mall unless you want to

Giffnock, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank of Scotland Cards

Great stuff Latimer, will check that out when we arrive on Friday. Really looking forward to enjoying the Premium leisure lounge, my wife thinks I will not find it as good as the DAM. Then again last year I had a stomach virus for my whole trip and spoiled it for me. People keep asking me at work, why I keep going to Dubai, this is my eighth trip, sure there are many on this forum will feel the same as me. The personal touch, quality or rooms and food, not forgetting the weather. There is just a certain feeling that grips you, making you want to return. People like yourself Latimer, bring so much more to this forum and your expertise is phenomenal and so valuable to contributing to a memorable trip. I've actually never written a hotel stay in Dubai in all the years I have traveled. Will try and make a concise effort this time and my experience in Dubai during Ramadan.