We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Dubai

55 days until our first visit to Dubai.

I have booked the Residence & Spa for 5 days to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Dubai has always been on my wife's to do wish list so I want it to be special.

I've done lots of reading up as its new to me but my other half prefers an off the cuff approach and will probably only look once aboard the plane.

My only concern is the afternoons and evenings as my wife's a real social butterfly/party animal.

A previous trip to Singapore she moaned about the sterile/boring whilst very nice bars and restaurants we visited.

Therefore are any of the Bars at the Royal Mirage lively? And is this the case on certain days or times only?

If not what are the options nearby for a lively evening supping wine, people watching and mingling? Is it a case of the right bar on the right night?

Any advice or tips gladly received.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Dubai

There is a nice beach bar/lounge in your hotel called Jetty Lounge. It's always crowded but it will not satisfy a party animal. Hence I recommend you venture out of your hotel in the close surrounding areas. Research the following: Buddha Bar in Grosvenor House, Barasti in Le Meridian, 360 and Mahiki in Jumaireh beach hotel to name few of the many bars in dubai.

If you want night clubs but a bit far from your hotel then Cavalli and Cirque Le Soir in Fairmont hotel and People by Crystal in Raffles are among the best in dubai. It will take about 20-30 min by taxi to reach them.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Thanks Maher I will research these options.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Just 4 days to go.

Thanks to info on here; no transfer booked. Minimal Cash exchanged.

Atmosphere booked for Thursday Sunset. (decide to do this over the Burj Al Arab bar, I saw this as an either or on a short trip)

Friday Brunch Booked at Bubbalicious as it was close to R&S.

We have left two days free so we play with the itinerary when in Dubai although we have loads on the to/do wish list which won't fit in two day.

We are considering the Saturday Jazz brunch at Zabeel on the Palm but this is a trade off versus less time in the malls or Souks.

One last niggling question is can you just turn up for late night drinks at bars like Observatory, Buddha bar and the others in Grosvenor house or do you need to book?

As we have Half Board thrown in at R&S seems to make sense to have dinner at hotel then head out for lively drinks later. So for instance we have penciled in for Saturday to head over to Buddha Bar between 10 & 10.30 for drinks.

Thanks for the help and I will put a trip report up on return.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Dubai

You can always turn up at any bar like observatory or Buddha bar but expect to find it full and stand up at the bar especially on weekends or during happy hour.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Yes, you'll be fine to turn up later in the evening but as Maher says, you may not get a seat.

Personally I wouldn't do brunch on Saturday when you've had a brunch on Friday, especially as you are on half board at the Residence & Spa. I'd rather spend that time doing something else.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Just bear in mind that the weekend is Friday and Saturday in Dubai - this means that Thursday and Friday night are the busiest nights in most of the bars.

After your Atmosphere sunset trip I would come down from Burj Khalifa and head for Calabar at the Address Downtown - great fountain views and a really good vibe, it's open till 2 or 3am.

Also in this hotel is Neos, which is a bar on the 63rd floor and very popular.

I'd also allow plenty of time to get a taxi from Residence and Spa - it is quite set back from the main road and doesn't have the advantage of passing taxis so you'll have to wait for one to drop someone off, use the hotel car, which will be about 40% more expensive or get them to take you to the main road in a buggy.

Stjordal, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Latimer - about that last point. I'm staying in the DAM next week, and figured that at least once or twice I'll be wanting to get a taxi to the Dubai Mall area or the souks. If I want to get a standard taxi from the hotel, am I in the same boat? I know that Jumeirah have their own more expensive cars, but will it be easy for me to get a cheaper standard taxi outside the hotel or will it be necessary to order one/wait for a drop-off?

Sorry about tagging onto this thread, but didn't feel it necessary to make a new one for a fairly simple question. :)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Dubai

The Madinat is a much bigger resort than One & Only and so there are taxis around all of the time dropping people off, this means that you don't have to go out to the road for a cab - keep in mind that Thursday and Friday are much busier there too as it is bigger so leave extra time on those days as you may have to queue.

From DAM you could go to the main entrance of Al Qasr (where you will get dropped off by the cab from the airport at check in) OR head to the Madinat souk from your villa and go to the front entrance at which point you'll find queues of taxis all day.

Stjordal, Norway
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Dubai

Thanks for being so helpful Latimer, I've been following the forum for weeks and have picked up so many useful tips for my trip next week. Thank the heavens for TripAdvisor and kind people like yourself. :)

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Dubai

However Latimer is not appreciated by everyone. She gives advice on subjects which many of us treat with derision. So my award for this category goes to.......Latimer