We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

I am going to Dubai next week, with husband and son (14) who are coming on another flight. I have booked to stay in JBH and paid for a holiday package half-board for myself only (now know that this was a mistake as I am not finding it easy to modify the stay through the holiday company). It has worked out so much more expensive too than had we booked the stay and my flight separately.

At JBH - I am told to pay 240 AED x 2 for the extra two people per night (1920), though I booked an Ocean Deluxe King room. This will not include their breakfast but mine is half-board so it will be very awkward. Club- 600 AED extra pn x 4 to enable us to have the club extras and I think my family will be able to have breakfast at least. Now all in al the extras come up to another 4800AED (about £750).

I have read the forum and it has helped, but I have a few specific questions please. I have made enough errors for this trip :(

Questions -

1. I don't think I have a choice on 1, but I am not sure if the club is worth it.

2. If we pay the extras, there will be very little budget left for anything else. We will go to Wild Wadi complimentary, maybe twice :), I am thinking that we should go to Mall of the emirates, see the tall building, lights, my teenager mentioned surfing??? Is there anything else worth doing?

Nice affordable options for nice breakfast and lunch if we don't pay for the club? Son likes Shawarma and we love smoothies. So I may want to find a non tourist place for those when we go out.

The entertainer? Is it worth it for such a short trip? Can I get it at the airport?

Travel cards for the metro? Do we get those at the airport?

Dates - 17 to 22 July during Ramadan.

Thanks.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

I am slightly confused over your question but a lot of this appears to stem from you booking half board. I am not sure I can be of any help on that matter and how you will get round this , others may.

My suggestion is not to pay for Premium leisure/ club exec facilities- you will save a lot if you do not use this.

We have been going for years and always felt it was an expense we could do without- many others disagree. £60 pppn for exec pool access, afternoon tea (which means coming off the beach to get it) and drinks between 6-8 (if Ramadan these times change?) we could ill afford for 2 weeks as a family of 5. The rooms are exactly the same size and all face the Burj al Arab

Wild Wadi has the Flo'rider and surfing.

This is something which my eldest grandson(now 24) and youngest (now 13) have loved about Dubai. They spent most days in there from opening till tea time. Had to drag them out. Ate there in the café at lunchtime so as not to miss and "surf time"

I think you will find that many people will give you better advice than me on dining.The Mall of the Emirates (to which you can get the JBH free shuttle or a taxi is only 10 mins away) and many other areas which will be cheaper than trying to upgrade family to the half board option.

If I have confused you with information you were NOT asking for, then I apologise!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

Ramadan is always difficult month.

During the day you can always head to beach ( although currently it is 45C noon time ) .. Mall of the Emirates is reachable by shuttle from the hotel. You can have some very good meals across Barsha Area ( where Mall of Emirates is located ) and most have their Iftar ( breaking the fast at around 7pm ) menus for something like 100,- AED per person. Shawermas included :)

I would not opt for the extra's at JBH .. save it for activities such as swimming with the dolphins in Atlantis ( check the hotel webpage ).

Be prepared that nothing happens during the day in Dubai and most of the activities are currently after the Iftar, when it is also not that hot... the tallest building of the world is actually located at the Mall of Dubai ( not mall of Emirates ) - book online for timing to get to the top.

Hope it helps .. enjoy your stay,

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

During Ramadan they might be closed before sunset (check). However, there are several cafés and restaurants in the Souq madinat Jumeira (around 40) where you can get affordable options for breakfast and lunch. In addition you can hop on the shuttle or take a taxi to the mall of emirates where you have several food courts or fine dinning restaurants (some in the food court sell Shawerma). There is a ski park which your children would like. Food court in mall serve food after sunset in Ramadan.

There are two metro stops at the airport one at T1 and the second at T3. Metro cards can be bought there or at any other metro stop.

The entertainer book costs 395 dirhams and if you order online you could get 10% discount and ship it to your hotel. Is it worth it will depend what you do in dubai. For 4 people you pay for 2 so one desert safari you get back what you paid for book and any other usage will be savings.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:57
England
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

I thought summer flavours was running throughout July, August and September. This gives a free half board upgrade in all Jumeirah resorts.

My guess is it is how your original booking was made.

We have always used the premium leisure/ club exec as we love the afternoon tea, evening canapés and drinks and the chance to meet others in the lounge area. Also the rooms have better decor etc.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
364 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

Fumken,

I think it would be worth you buying the entertainer book for your 4 days. Included in this book are several 2 for 1 vouchers for meals and these include several restaurants within the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and the surrounding Madinat Jumeirah area. For example, there are vouchers for Latitude/Ocean Blue/La veranda/Beachcombers/Waterfront and others. So, if YOU have half board you will be able to go to these anyway, and with the vouchers, your husband and son can use the 2 for 1 vouchers. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like this would work out cheaper than paying the extra for them to go half board. (No entertainer vouchers for the breakfast though). Hope this helps. (As others have said there are lots of vouchers for various trips as well so again, more savings).

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

You haven't half made this difficult for yourself! I would chuck away the idea of paying 600dhs per person per day on Premium Leisure upgrade. Unless you are big drinkers you won't get your money back.

When you check in, as you are on half board, you will get a voucher for each night. Combine tense together on one night and go for a meal in a Jumeirah restaurant.

You can opt to have breakfast in the hotel and you'll have yours for free and then have to explain you wish to pay for the other family members as the number of included breakfasts will be notified in the guest manifest when checking into the restaurant. Otherwise you can grab an abra to Madinat Jumeirah where there is a Costa which could save you a small fortune or create a rota so one person gets a breakfast!

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

very succinctly put Swiss. That's what I was trying to say but could not write it down without a piece of A4 paper

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

Thanks ever so much for all your great advice. Most appreciated.

No upgrades then, much as I wish I could have the afternoon tea hmmmmm. The dolphins instead :). We will pay 180 AED for each extra Breakfast.

Lunches - Maybe we will use the entertainer 2 for 1, while I use my voucher. Since there are three of us. I will order that today.

Are there Abras near the hotel? Is there a metro nearby- so we can use the metro from the airport. I guess there is no complimentary airport shuttle for non club guests.

Son wants the desert safari but I am worried that it will be too hot to go on a safari in the summer.

I feel a little less worried. Many thanks indeed.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,157 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

The traditional abras operate on the creek, which is around 35 minutes from your hotel by taxi.

The Madinat complex next door has abras that you can use as a JBH guest to get round the Madinat.

The nearest metro station is a 10 minute taxi ride away at Mall of the Emirates station so you will porbably find that you don't use the metro that much.

As for getting to your hotel then the metro is not a good option. It will take well over an hour when you factor in the fact that you have to do the metro journey then lug your bags to the taxi rank and get a taxi to the hotel - far better to get a taxi straight from the airport to the hotel.

There are taxis lined up at the airport rank. They are all clean, safe, metered and government controlled - you just pay what it says on the meter. When you get in a cab at the aiport the meter will already show 25 dirham as that is the standard airport fee and the total fare to JBH will be around 85 dirham.

It is actually cooler in the desert than it is in the city and all of the vehicles are air conditioned so I would definitely recommend a desert safari

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Dubai -JBH next week. Tips needed urgently Please

Thanks very much :)