We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me about the differences between the 2 areas (other than the fact that Jumeriah has a beach & Downtown has the mall!). I am torn between the 2 areas. We like to have a nice meal & a drink in an evening and maybe a nice walk....Any recommendations of one over the other?

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

What time of the year are you visiting?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

Oh forgot to say! I will be visiting at the end of Feb next year.

Thanks

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

You will get differing opinions - My personal preference especially for a first timer to Dubai is to stay near the beach and visit downtown. It is a reasonable priced taxi ride between the two.

The beach hotels are a little more laid back and more geared for tourists.

If you want more of a city break and like to be amongst the thick of things then Downtown Dubai may suit you better.

Dubai doesn't have just two areas but the two areas you mention tend to be the most popular and depending on which hotel you pick there are not too far apart.

both have an abundance of bars and restaurants. Jumeirah is spread out over a large area which stretches along the coastline of Dubai.

Downtown is more compact and tends to be centred around Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa - there are however many malls in Dubai.

It largely depends on budget but hotels along Jumeirah beach are in the main 5* and will be the most expensive in Dubai. If you give us an idea of your budget we can recommend some hotels for you.

The madinat hotels are very popular with tourists - loads of bars and restaurants, a small shopping complex and lovely waterways - a nice place to have a stroll. It is top end budget wise.

Alternatively The Walk is a very popular area at the moment, at the far end of Jumeirah but has a large variety of hotels and there is abundance of restaurants and bars.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

Madinat Jumeirah would be my recommendation for that time of the year. Stunningly gorgeous and the ultimate foodie's heaven.

If you have kids with you then I'd consider downtown/Dubai Mall area. The truth is, you'll be happy with either one.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

You rightfully summed it up one has a beach and one has a mall (you forgot the burj and fountains).

To add Jumeirah hotels are in general more expensive as they have beach access. Jumaireh is not on the metro line (if you care to take the metro). Jumeirah is further away from the airport than downtown. Jumeirah is closer to the Dubai Marina and Mall of the Emirates (ski dubai). Downtown is closer to the Dubai Creek and old Souqs. Downtown is about 15 min from airport.

Where to stay will depend on what you plan to do during your stay.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 20:45
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,706 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

It depends on how much you want to spend and what you plan to do during your holiday. If you want to spend all day relaxing and not doing much then the beach makes sense. If you plan to be out and about and don't need to have a beach right outside your hotel, then Downtown is a great choice.

Downtown is great for wandering around in the evening, there's always lots going on, great restaurants, Dubai mall, Burj Khalifa and the fantastic Dubai Fountain.

The Walk in JBR/Dubai Marina is also very lively in the evening and great for people (and flash car) watching. It's not as classy as Downtown, though. And it's at the opposite end of the city from Old Dubai if you want to explore that - though Dubai is easy and cheap to get around.

7. Re: Downtown or Jumeriah beach area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 07:15