We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

Hi,

Been busy with work lately and stopped looking through the forums. I am 6 days away from my departure and trying tie loose ends.

Now I did read up a little on forex and did not find a location/ service that provides good exchange rates. I would like to know if it made sense to get AED from the US or exchange in Dubai. I have compared my Bank's rates with google. My bank is giving 3.92 per USD. No fees.

Malls and airports are always bad (in my limited travel experience) for exchanging. Can anyone point me to a good source you know locally who would give a better rate thank my bank?

TIA

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

Hi the dirham is pinned to the dollar. This means the rate of exhange is always the same. 1USD = 3.68AED any where in the UAE.

Now you might find very slight differences 3.679 or 3.685. That will hardly have any real effect on the total you exchange.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I will probably get about 100AED at the airport to pay for cab, dinner and next morning. And then exchange more in Dubai around the mall/ Burj area as I will be spending day 1 in that area.

Port Harcourt...
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

I changed at Mall of Emirate today for 3.65 to the dollar.

The current rate seems to revolve around 3.65 from all the exchange centers I have seen including the airport.

England
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

Why would you not get them at home, if your bank will do 3.92 with no fees, why give that up for 3.65 possibly with fees.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

My bad, I am sorry. It was a typo. TMy bank is doing 3.27 with no fees.

I just got a quote for $1000, I get AED 3,270.

3.9 is what google shows at the moment.

3.65 in Dubai seems like a better rate.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

You won't get less than 3.65 in Dubai, that's for sure so I'd save the money and exchange at the airport when you land in Dubai. You can change a bit (as you say) then change the rest in a mall. There is no need to shop around, the exchange places in malls are better places to change than in banks. And there is so little variance available for US $,even for large cash amounts, that it's hardly worth bothering about.

As mentioned above, the UAE dirham is pegged to the US $ so the exchange rate doesn't vary from day to day.

7. Re: Exchange USD to AED in Dubai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:16