We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

Hi

I've ready lots of info here on the forums but wanted some tips and advice on my holiday to Dubai that i'm planning.

I'm planning a 6 night trip from 18 Jan 2015 for my wife's 30th and wanted both a) to celebrate in style and b) make up for not being able to go away on a proper holiday for nearly 2 years! It's also a surprise!!

WEATHER

I've read the weather is not so warm, but still around 20C, so comfortable and still warm enough to walk around in shorts etc and swim in the pool. But i've also read that someone who went in January 2014 said it was a lot cooler, and given the short days and cool nights, even the pools were a bit cold. What's the real deal here? Sure, it'll be warmer than the UK, but will it be cold?

HOTEL

Also, the place it full of some amazing hotels all over the place! This makes it hard to choose! I wanted something 4* or 5*, with a decent pool, around a beach and maybe a spa. Am i going to get a decent hotel fitting this which is not really expensive like £200 a night? Over 6 nights, that's getting a bit tight on budget for me! Any advice would be great?

ACTIVITIES

As well as chill out a bit, we want to do a few things like see the fountains, check out the malls, the souks, Burj al Arab, Burj Khalifa, What else can we do as i've never been before?

BIRTHDAY

Most important of all, i need to make a plan for the birthday itself. Any suggestions of some good restaurants?

Many thanks in advance!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

Weather

It will certainly be warmer than Litchfield and warmth, temperature of the pools etc is all relative you where you are from. If you are used to a UK winter then you'll find Dubai positively balmy - it will definitely be warm enough for you to sunbathe between 10.30 and 3pm - after that the sun drops too low in the sky and the shadows are too long.

It won't be cold unless you consider mid 20oC during the day and average of 15oC at night cold - bear in mind that it was probably 15oC in Litchfield at midday today.

Hotel

The cheapest hotel with it's own beach will probably be Hilton and it's usually around £170 per night - Hilton have a sale at the moment with 33% off. You could also check out Mina Seyahi and Westin, both have their own beach and will be there or thereabouts price wise.

Activities

Please have a read of the top questions for Dubai to the right of the posts page and I'd add a desert safari as a must do to your list.

Birthday

There are more than 600 restaurants in Dubai so that's a tough call. You need to give some thought to what you want to eat and what sort of ambiance you want. If I wanted a special meal with a great view then I'd go for

Thiptara (Thai) at the Palace hotel in Downtown

Segreto (Italian) in the Madinat

Eau Zone (mediteranean) at the One and Only Resort

Amala (Indian) at the Jumeirah Zabeel Saray

Pai Thai (Thai) in the Madinat

Pier Chic (fishy but with meat dishes too) at AL Qasr - fabulous views

but that's only a sample and there are almost too many to list. I'd save picking a place to go until you know where in the city you are staying and then we can help nearer the time.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

The weather will be pleasant considering it is January! Whether you can walk in shorts and swim depends on you. I certainly swim in the winter in Dubai. Most of the pools in 5 star hotels are temp controlled so if it is sunny during the day and in lower 20 you can.

All the restaurants mentioned in Latimer's post are great for special occasions, but if i had to choose one it would be Pierchic in Al Qasr hotel.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 07:19
Romford, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

I did the birthday dubai holiday for my fiance two years ago.

Wherever you go and any reservations you make tell them its your wifes bday.

We went for afternoon tea at burj al arab and they brought a birthday cake.. The same at burj khalifa when we went there for drinks and we went to saffron, atlantis for dinner buffet and that was the best as they sung happy birthday to him but was really funny as was a funny happy birthday song and he got cake again lol! If u want to pass me your email address I can email you photos of the 3 occasions and send you tje happy birthday video lol!!

Im actually in dubai now on holiday again at the moment... Your wife will have an amazing birthday holiday she wont be disappointed!!!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

I find it funny to walk around in shirtsleeves and see the 'locals' covered up in fleeces, etc ! As Latimer says, it's all relative to what you're used to. At least you'll be able to spend as much time outside as you like, which you can't do now.

If it's her birthday, you should definitely stay well away from the gold and diamond souk, and the malls :-) Far too many shiny stores with nice clothes, shoes, watches, perfumes, etc.

More seriously, a ride across (or around) the Creek is a nice thing to do. You can just go across for one dirham or hire an abra for a longer period. You might also consider a trip into the desert, whether you go dune bashing or something a little more romantic.

Try to see the older side of Dubai: the souks, museum, and the cultural centre if you want to meet some real Emiratis.

And come to Abu Dhabi for the day (but I would say that).

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

We're going at the end of Jan for my 40th so similar boat to you.

We're staying at the JA Oceanview near the Marina and paying £1k for 7 nights - booking.com.

Planning a desert safari for my actual birthday as well as doing many of the unique activities such as Ski Dubai, Yellow Boats, Burj Khalifa, Atlantis water park, old town, museum and souks. We're going to get the Entertainer for the many vouchers and expect to save £100s on the above, eating & drinking.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

Never been to that part of Dubai but will be in November . If we take a trip around the creek , does it just go around and back or does it have stops where you can get off ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

If you take the 1 dirham ride then it's a short ride from one side to the other basically crossing the creek. If you hire the abra privately for one hour then it just takes you on a ride and back.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

@maggiemaggie56

It's a public ferry service across the Creek on a traditional boat called an abra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abra_%28boat%29

It takes about 5 mins and costs 1 dirham (16p). You can also negotiate to hire them by the hour (20 quid?) and they'll take you on a more extensive trip around the Creek.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

Thank you , What will I expect to find at the other side Souks ? . Thanks sharp5sharp9 it looks amazing but then I think everything in Dubai is amazing lol

Abu Dhabi, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Dubai, for my wife's birthday celebrations!

For restaurants I love Eau Zone at the One and Only. It's a lovely restaurant for a birthday dinner.Zuma is also fantastic and lively.