We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel location???

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel location???

I have two free nights with Intercontinental. Right now I have a booking with the Intercontinental Hotel in Festival City. Appears a new Intercontinental Hotel will be opening at the Dubai Marina in January. Anyone have a recommendation which location would be best. I am traveling by myself, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel location???

Until you know that the one at the Marina is open for sure then I would go with Festival City.

If it is IHG points you are using then there are two centrally located Holiday Inns that are more convenient for seeing the city than the Intercontinental they are Holiday Inn Al Barsha and Holiday Inn Embassy district.

Neither are as high end as the Intercontinental but both are more central if you are planning to do a lot of sightseeing.

The Intercontinental Festival City has a mall right next door for cheaper breakfast than the hotel, although have to say that the breakfast in the hotel served in the Anise restaurant has possibly the best choice of breakfast of any hotel I have stayed in.

it is very common for hotels in Dubai to have delayed or soft opening and so I wouldn't bank on the Marina one opening when they say it will or if it does it will open without all of its facilities being available.

Seattle
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel location???

Thanks for the info, but let's say that the marina hotel opens up, which Intercontinental Hotel would you pick. I know there are better locations but I will just be coming there after 3 months of living in a rural fishing village in India. I want a little luxury!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel location???

For luxury I would pick an hotel that is already open.

If the Intercon at the Marina is open when you are there then it would be a question of which area you want to be in - the Marina area is nice and there is more to do and see there than at Festival city. If it is close to a metro then getting around will be easier although it is further away from the souks and Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa area than Festival city

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel location???

It depends on when you plan to travel - if it is within a few months of the new hotel opening I'd avoid it as it will encounter opening snags, as Latimer says during 'soft opening' stages not all facilities are fully operational.

The Intercon at Festival City isn't a bad location, there isn't much about within walking distance but everywhere can be easily reached by taxi, which are very cheap.

The Intercon at Festival city has a good pool deck and as Latimer says the hotel offers a very good breakfast.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel location???

I, too, would try to avoid booking with a newly opened hotel for the reasons mentioned above. Festival City Intercon is luxurious and indeed very nice. It's also connected to Festival City Mall, lots of restaurants and cafes, and a very nice waterfront promenade with Creek boat rides. It's also not too far away from the souqs and old Dubai- all are within a 10 min cab ride. Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa area is about 15 mins away. Dubai airport is also less than 10 mins which is convenient for a short stay.

6. Re: which hotel location???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 06:15