We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Dubai

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Dubai

Hi can anyone help please.

We are staying in the Al Mankhool Area, Bur Dubai for 3 days 4 nights in October and we would like to go down to the Marina area in particular to the Observatory on the 52nd floor of the Marriott for a cocktail and views over the harbour and Palm. I know we can do this trip by metro but would perfer to be above ground. Is it possible to catch a bus or would we need a taxi. Any other suggestion on what we mustn't miss either in the Marina area or back in the Old Town.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport Dubai

The metro is mostly at ground level or elevated. Only around 5km in the city is underground.

Otherwise it's 25km in a taxi which will cost less than 50 dirhams, say £7.50 - 8.00 and take 30-40 mins.

The metro may be practical depending on how far your hotel is from the nearest station and how kind the weather is. It would take about an hour..

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport Dubai

By metro or bus it will take you over an hour and then you will need to do a bit of walking in marina which is full of construction these days. I would just take a taxi.

Keep in mind that Observatory has happy hour daily from 5-8 pm with reduced drink prices so it gets busy. If you want a nice window table be there just before 5pm.

Since you like high rise building with views try going to Neos on the 63 floor of The Address Downtown with very nice views of the downtown area.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Thank you so much this is very helpful.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport Dubai

The metro will take longer than a taxi but you get a very good elevated view of Dubai and I think it's worth taking the metro for that reason. You can then hope in a taxi from the metro station to the Marriott if you want to.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Thank you all so much for your input it has been very helpful. Taking all points into consideration l think we will opt for the metro ride to the Marina area and a taxi back after a couple of cocktails.

I will also check out Neos thank you for that. This is our first visit to Dubai we have a 3 day stopover there on both our outward and inward trip to China. Therefore all advise on what to do and what not to do with our time in Dubai will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks again Margaret

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Margaret ... there are some good articles on the right hand side of the forum page, plus gazillions of similar 'what to do?' threads.

Have a read and come back with any questions about things that catch your eye.

Criteria might be: time of year, ages, how active and adventurous you are, likes and dislikes, etc.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Thank you, I will have a read of info tonight and get back to you if I have questions.

I just got a bit ahead of myself!!!

We have been in our early forties for the last 20 years!!! - So not looking to snow board but not quite ready for pipe and slippers yet!

I just started my research into what to do in Dubai and I came across something about a Global Village - is it worth a visit in your opinion or is it just tourist tat - It seems fairly far from the Old Town so would the only way to get there be by taxi?

Thanks again

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Hi I have had a wee look at sites as you suggested and come up with the following - all suggestions on how to improve itinerary very welcome.

Mon 20th Oct

2am arrival at hotel (Winchester Grand in Mankhool) - a nice easy relaxing morning by the pool. - lunch

3 pm set out for Metro to Dubai Mall

Visit Burj Khalifa - pre booked tickets for 5pm

Stay up to watch the sunset and dancing water - starts 6pm.

Enjoy downtown before getting Metro/Taxi back to Hotel an early night to recover from flight.

Tues 21st Oct

10.30 From hotel Walk to BurJuman Metro Station 1

11.am Metro towards Jebel Ali Metro Station 1 Get off at Jumeirah Lakes Towers

Walk to Dubai Marina Mall - Spend couple of hrs in Mall

Head to Marina to catch 3pm ferry tour

On return - walk to Marriott Observation Lounge for happy hour at 5pm - cocktail

Head to Marina walk for dinner and to enjoy the ambience

Taxi back to hotel

Wed 22 Oct

10 am - Hotel Shuttle to beach - shuttle back for lunch.

2pm – Taxi to Creek Park walk about and cable car ride

6pm - Head back to hotel for dinner and relax

11.30 pm Depart for Airport

Tuesday 4th Nov

Arrive airport about mid-day - at Hotel say about 1.30pm lunch and relax at pool.

4.30 pm Shuttle - metro to Dubai shopping centre - Neos for cocktails and a view of Burj Khalifa and fountains

Metro back to hotel for dinner and early night to recover from overnight flight.

Wed 5th Nov

Morning by pool

1.00pm Hotel Shuttle - metro to Emirates Mall for a walk about

4.30pm Taxi to Satwa area walk about shops

6.30pm Diner at Ravi's – Taxi back to hotel

Thursday 6th Nov

Taxi to Creek - hop on abra to Deira Visit Gold and Spice Souks - open till about 12noon I believe?

Abra back across walk to Dubai Museum- Bastakiya -Shindagha - Back to hotel to relax by Pool

Check out Food Halls in Mankhool area (Staying at Savoy Central Apt this time)

Friday 7th Nov

Full day available – what have I missed out that is a must see and do? Maybe we should just enjoy the beach and pool as on Saturday we head home and back to the cold!

Kindest Regards

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Margaret, its worth seeing more than one fountain show. Each one lasts for about 3 minutes and is different than the previous. Shows are every 30 minutes from 6 pm till 11pm.

Neos opens from 6pm till 2:30 am . There is another bar in the same hotel on the ground floor called Calabar with great views of the burj. They have happy hour from 6 - 8pm.

Edited: 07 September 2014, 19:22
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport Dubai

Great thanks for that will fit in more than one light show and possibily more than one bar!