We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

criminal record

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
criminal record

Can i travel to Dubai with a criminal record ??

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,941 Reviews
from US$67.40*
US$89.87
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
384 Reviews
from US$43.00*
US$48.00
Free Cancellation
Dubai Desert 4x4 Safari with Quad...
440 Reviews
from US$80.00*
Free Cancellation
35 replies to this topic
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: criminal record

Of course you can if the UK lets you out then you can travel, whether Dubai will let you in is a separate question and depends upon the nature of the criminal record and whether you are on any watch list

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: criminal record

If you have a criminal record in UAE then doubtful. If its of some other country then you can.

Mentioned in this post
England, United...
Level Contributor
16,037 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: criminal record

As long as it's not " The Birdy Song" or anything by Barry Manilow, you should be OK, but if it's a criminal conviction you might consider mentioning the nature of it here.

No one will judge you, because, heck, we don't know who you are, but a bit more info will perhaps allow the TA community and DE's to help you a bit more.

Mon

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: criminal record

The UAE isn't like the US where you would definitely be ineligible for a visa on arrival if you have certain criminal convictions. I love the term they use: "moral turpitude" :)

I guess it depends on the nature of the crime. Maybe a call to the UAE embassy in London would be a good idea. I always assume that every immigration officer already knows everything about me.

The British embassy here is also very helpful. Check out their FB page 'UK in UAE'.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: criminal record

I went to Dubai with a police record

(message in a bottle)

brian h

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,544 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: criminal record

Assuming you have a British passport and are allowed to leave the UK then you will get a visa on arrival stamped automatically in your passport without having to fill any forms in, much easier than getting into the USA.

If you want specific advice then you'll have to say what it is or speak to the Embassy.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,823 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: criminal record

There is no way for the UAE authorities to know about a criminal record in the UK or any other country so I don't understand why previous posters are suggesting you say what it is here or make further enquiries.

You get on a plane to Dubai, get off, pass through passport control, get a free 30 day visa stamped in your passport, go on and enjoy your holiday. Nowhere in that scenario which happens thousands of times per day are there any questions about criminal records.

Or have I missed something during the dozens of times I've entered Dubai??

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,544 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: criminal record

If the criminal activity would put the person on a watch list then that might be relevant.

In any event I can never understand why people ask a lot of random strangers this type of question - how could a person rely on something they read on a forum ?

Standing in immigration saying 'the people on trip advisor said it was OK' won't get any results.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,823 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: criminal record

Isn't the only thing that puts people on a watch list terrorism-related offences? Or being suspected of involvement in terrorism-related activities? If so then I doubt the person would be posting about it here - although there are quiet a few numpty would-be terrorists knocking about it seems.

Edited: 18 December 2014, 00:10
Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: criminal record

thankyou for messages i will contact embassy

Reply to: criminal record
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted