We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

bristol
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

Hiya

I am going to Dubai on the 30 Jan for 5 nights and when I booked i didnt realise it was the shopping festival.

The hotels on the beach are very expensive although I have found a decent rate at the Metropolitan Dubai.

The reviews aren't that great but it has a shuttle to the beach.

Also with the construction people are advising not to stay in the city. Is this true?

Thanks for your help :)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

hi, I was in Dubai for the shopping Festival in January this year (although the festival ended up being cancelled or delayed because the Sheik had died). i stayed out at Jumeirah and the hotels were vastly overpriced and so far from everywhere. there is so much construction everywhere that I don't think it makes much difference where you stay but next time I will definitely stay somewhere in the centre of old Dubai along the Creek. it is central to everything, especially the souks, and you don't have to travel for ages in taxis from Jumeirah

barnard castle
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

we've just returned from a 10 night stay in the Metropolitan on Sheik Zayed Road and couldn't fault it. All the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help you. Our room was on the 4th floor and was excellent. We were on B&B and again couldn't fault the food.

They have several restraunts, incl. Indian, Chinese, Tex-Mex, Italian, Japanese and the Red Lion pub serves up home comforts, can recommend fish n chips !!

Found the drinks quite expensive, but who really cares when you're on holiday. We got some drink on our way through duty free in Dubai airport and kept this in our fridge in the room. 1 lt Gordons Gin £6.

Try to avoid heading toward Deira around 17.00----19.00hrs as the traffic is manic. i normally would hire a car, but the way people drive over there scared me. They're nuts !!

You can get the shuttle bus to several places but these only run at certain times, taxis are cheap enough and there are hundreds of them.

The pool area was always quiet while we were there and within the building there's a sauna, steam room, jaccuzi and you can also get massaged.

Hope you enjoy.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

The shuttle to the beach you mentioned. I would imagine you should be able to use the old metropolitan beach resort which is now the Habtoor Grand so you can go to the beach if you prefer.

liverpool
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

Hiya,

my husband and two of our friends stayed at this hotel, couldnt fault it. Room very nice cleaned everyday.

this hotel has so many restaurant , we visited the indian (fabulous) , italian, chinese and the snack restaurant, the staff cannot do enough to help you.

the taxis are so cheap we went everywhere in them, was in one for well over an hour, mainly sight seeing, getting out having a walk around and then coming back to taxi, the driver was brilliant just waited around for us cost us about twelve quid.

there is a pub at the back of this hotel which you can reach via the grounds it is called the rattle snake, i have never laughed so much in all my life, keep hold of your man as it was full of prostitutes but what an experience i can tell you, well worth a visit, its very dark and your feet stick to the floor but you will have a laugh.

also took a day ticket to the habtoor grand the sister hotel to use the beach, this was amazing , it was so beautiful.

if you want to pick faults you will find them anywhere and im so picky but this hotel was lovely,

also each night on your door handle there was always a ticket to get quarter off your meal at one of the different restaurants in the hotel.

hope you have a good time.

5. Re: Where to stay on shopping festival? Metropolitan Dubai? Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 12:21