We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating after game

Which Ann Arbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
eating after game

will be at the Michigan/Utah game next week - game is 3:30 - where would be a good place to go for dinner after game? - any places take reservations?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: eating after game

Lots of places take reservations, but I have no idea how booked up they might already be. Do you want to head downtown to eat, or somewhere near wherever you might be staying? What type of food, and what's your budget, and how many people in your party?

Ann Arbor has plenty of good choices, so a little more info will help give you good suggestions.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating after game

looking for casual pub type atmosphere - have a car so downtown or by campus will work - party of 6 - staying at the Hampton Inn Ann Arbor South - food type doesn't matter - place that takes reservations not necessary - just thought it might be easier - thanks

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating after game

Check out the Brown Jug or Ashleys.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating after game

Webbers inn. Park there before the game, take the shuttle and eat and party there after.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eating after game

Webers is definitely not a casual pub type atmosphere, and downtown would certainly be more fun, though also pretty crowded.

You could check for reservations with Grizzly Peak (slightly more upscale than a casual pub, but a micro-brewery with good beer and good food) or just head downtown after the game and see where you can get in. Arbor Brewing is another good option (both of these are on Washington near Main). Conor O'Neill's is on Main and is an Irish-type pub. Ashley's mentioned above is a good choice on State (adjacent to campus). Red Hawk is very near there and has good sandwiches and beer choices as well.

In that same vicinity you've got Pot Belly sandwich shop and Cosi if the other places get too busy and you just need food. There's also Earl of Sandwich right there, but I haven't eaten there and don't know what it's like. Bar Louie is around the corner from these State Street restaurants on Liberty.

Expect a zoo in the downtown/campus area after the game, but have fun with it!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating after game

Thank you all so much for the suggestions - one other question - staying at the Hampton Inn South - what will be the best way to get to the game - I've read about shuttles - are we close to a shuttle spot? - are we too far to walk - or are there parking lots close to the stadium? - any help is appreciated!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eating after game

You can catch a shuttle at your hotel, but then you'd need to get a cab back after dinner, so ask the hotel or restaurant (or TA folks) for numbers of cab companies as you don't hail them on the street here.

Here's info on the shuttle: http://www.theride.org/Football.asp

Berlin,WI
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating after game

I can see that there are about 3 brewpubs/breweries downtown, not too far away from where we are staying at the First Street Garden Inn. Any input on any of these? As far as the beer and eating? Coming in on Friday before the Wisconsin game and staying until Monday. Any information about the cheapest and best places to eat and party would be greatly appreciated. Also will be looking for a place to watch the Packer game on Sun. Thanks in advance.

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating after game

kbk54923, I'm not a beer drinker, but we prefer the food at Grizzly Peak to Arbor Brew, and my husband likes the beer at Grizzly Peak. These aren't the cheapest places to eat, but that's not usually my criteria when choosing a restaurant so I'm not going to be the best source of advice for that criterion!

For watching the Packers game, The Arena might be your best choice of the 3 (assuming these are the 3 you are talking about!). Another place my husband goes to watch games is Buffalo Wild Wings, but that's a chain not a local place. It's also right on the edge of the UM campus, so if you want to check out the campus atmosphere, you could go there. There's another sports bar near campus on Maynard, but I can't remember the name of that one.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: eating after game

The sports bar on Maynard is Scorekeepers, I think.

As to the brew pubs downtown, my preference is Arbor Brewing, but I like both it and Grizzly Peak. I think Grizzly Peak tends to be a little more upscale in their food, though not necessarily more expensive. Arbor Brewing is strongly committed to using local and naturally produced ingredients including meat, so I like to support that. Both offer good beer options.

Grizzly Peak might be all non-smoking, if that matters. You could call them to ask for sure if you care one way or the other. Arbor Brewing is non-smoking in the main restaurant area, but has a smoking part attached with darts and such. The two are only a couple blocks apart if you want to check them both out during your visit. Menus should be available online if you want to look at food choices and prices.