We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

football weekend basics

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
football weekend basics

Hi there,

We are considering a November trip for a football weekend. What can I expect (availability / costs) for tickets and hotel?

Our ideal weekend would include a clean hotel and affordable hotel withing walking distance of the bars and the stadium.

just get scalped tickets before the game?

just looking for some very initial info to see if we can make it happen.

thanks a bunch

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: football weekend basics

There aren't many hotels within walking distance of the stadium, unless you don't mind walking a few miles. There are hotels on Jackson Road (west side of town), near Briarwood Mall) south side of town, and Plymouth road (north side of town) that offer shuttle service to the games.

I can't offer advice on buying tickets, since I have season tickets, but I will say that if you're thinking of making this trip, book your room now. Try to get a cancellable reservation if you're still not sure, but book something because rooms fill up fast for football weekends.

I recommend a site like kayak.com to look for rooms. You can see the listed hotels on a map and get a good idea for the range of prices available to you. They also link to customer reviews.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: football weekend basics

As for scalped tickets, I wouldn't recommend it. If the Wolverine's return to some level of acceptable play this year, the tickets may be hard to secure and expensive. Even if they continue to play miserably, die hard Michigan fans are likely to continue to come. Also, if the game you plan to attend is against one of its BIG rivals (aka Michigan State or Ohio State) you will pay a hefty charge for scalped tickets. As soon as you decide your date, you should contact the school to find out how to buy tickets.

While not within walking distance of the stadium, the following hotels are within walking distance of Ann Arbor's fun downtown area. If you want to enjoy the bars after the game and don't want to drive after enjoying them, either of the following hotels may do the trick: Dahlman's Campus Inn and The Bell Tower Inn.

Have a great time! There is really nothing like a Big 10 football game! Moms

wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: football weekend basics

thanks guys,

The weekend would be Nov 20 vs my beloved Badgers. I've been to about half of the Big Ten venues, and want to cross the Big House off of the list.

So I can get tickets directly from the school? I will have to check that out.

thanks for the hotel recs.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: football weekend basics

Tickets are available for some games directly from the Michigan ticket office. You can get more info on tickets here:

www.mgoblue.com/tickets/tickets-m-footbl.html

And it seems single game tickets go on sale in July.

I agree with momstravel that staying at either of those downtown properties would be ideal if they're in your price range. It's great to be able to hit restaurants/bars after the game and not worry about driving. But if the outlying hotels are better for you price-wise, you can always use cabs to get to and from downtown if you want to not worry about driving and parking.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: football weekend basics

Tickets are almost impossible to get but as my daughter is a UW alum and we live in AA, we have secured tickets from the UW Alumni association and it includes tickets to the game plus a Badger Huddle prior to the game. I think they may also offer accomodations. If you buy tickets from them be prepared to be in the end zone with all of the other Badger fans.

uwalumni.com/home/…bustrips.aspx

Have fun!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: football weekend basics

I know that the Student Union on Michigan's campus used to have rooms available to rent. I looked on the website and it seems that they no longer have rooms. Does anyone know whether or not any rooms are still available at the Student Union? If so, THAT would be the perfect location for enjoying all that downtown AA has to offer on a football Saturday night! Moms

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: football weekend basics

They rent out rooms in the Michigan League on North University which would be a good location for the game. Not sure what the accomodations are like though.

michigan
Level Contributor
343 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: football weekend basics

Other than the truely big games like OSU, MSU and ND you can always get tickets in some fashion. You can start checking craigslist in the summer after season ticket holders get their packs. You can try a broker like Subhub. I think the idea of trying through your own school UW is a good idea too. The weekend of the game tickets will be around the front steps of the Michgan Union.

People have given you good ideas on hotels. The shuttle for the Holiday Inn on Plymouth rd. works very well for games but you are a ways from downtown and would need to cab it for dinner and such. Downtown and campus are a lot of fun on game days, great atmosphere!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: football weekend basics

http://uunions.umich.edu/league/inn/

This is the link for the Michigan League (that is precisely where I was thinking, thank you Newtraveler!) The location is perfect for exploring both the Campus Town (Liberty) and Main Street sections of downtown Ann Arbor. Make sure to take a walk through the Law School and into the Law Library. Both are stunning! While football is truly the focus, if you arrive on Friday, make sure to take in the newly re-opened museum.

Have a great time! Moms

Hartland, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: football weekend basics

Football at the Big House is a great addition to anyone's bucket list. Consider staying at one of the Bed and Breakfasts in town. Buy Local! and support Ann Arbor owned businesses!!

One in particular has had wonderful reviews regarding football travelers and parents attending graduation on previous forums - Davies House in Georgetown Bed and Breakfast. It is located on the south side of town, near Briarwood Mall, convenient to highways and close to the stadium (1-2 miles) and downtown (2-3 miles). People rave about the hospitality and the food and compliment the innkeeper on being very accomodating.

Tickets are always available for UM games. If you want a guarantee, buy them from WI ticket office at face value - they are allocated a designated number for their fans. If you are adventurous wait and buy them game day. I have yet to have NOT been able to buy them outside the stadium, in the parking lot tailgates, or through the locals. (Ask the innkeeper - that's one of the benefits of staying at a local inn rather than a chain hotel ) There is always someone who can't make a particular game due to a conflict, or illness, or family obligation; and the colder the weather (Nov is WI game) the more likely it is that older folks choose not to attend and sell their tickets.

There are inexpensive bus shuttles from the hotels, there is parking on adjacent lots (Pioneer HS) and the golf course (where there is a free trolley to the front of the course), there is city bus service, and the posts on the other forums have said Davies House in Georgetown is within walking distance - probably 1-1.5 miles. From their placement on the map, I'd say they are about 3 blocks from the shuttles and maybe 1/2 mile to the golf course where you can hop on the trolley. I think I read this innkeeper is pretty generous about dropping people off, too. (no guarantee about that)

I didn't see this inn come up under Ann Arbor on Trip Advisor, but I put it into the key word search and it came up. I found their website at www.davieshouseinn.com. Good Luck!