We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

Wynnewood, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

My husband and daughter will be traveling to Ann Arbor in Mid March so that she can visit the University of Michigan (to which she has been admitted). It will be their first visit to the area, so we'd appreciate hotel recommendations as we have no idea where anything is and what is/is not convenient. We don't need anything quite as pricey as the Campus Inn or the Bell Tower. We're open to all suggestions and advice. Thank you!

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

To me, the main advantage of Campus Inn or Bell Tower is that you're right on campus and can walk everywhere. This would give them a good sense of what it's like to live on campus.

But, those two are expensive and most people are visiting several possible choices so I totally get why they aren't in your range. There are a few B&Bs around town that are a little less expensive but they aren't well configured for a dad/daughter duo since they mostly cater to couples and single occupants.

When people come to town for graduation or athletic events I always recommend either of the two Hampton Inns. They are on the north and south sides of Ann Arbor (one just off 94 by Briarwood Mall and the other just off US23 on Plymouth Road). Hampton Inns are clean, relatively quiet and provide a free breakfast. Both are an easy drive onto campus and should be significantly less expensive.

Congratulations to your daughter on being admitted to UM. I hope they have a great campus visit!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

Congratulations on your daughter's admission to the University of Michigan. She is sure to fall in love with Ann Arbor. It is a great college town! Luvs2snorkel has given you good advice. If the two Hampton Inns are not available at an acceptable price, stick to locations near these two hotels. I prefer the hotels to the south along State Street because of the many restaurants around and the Briarwood Mall. You may prefer to pick the north location though as many freshmen spend their first year almost exclusively on north campus. My point is, I would not stay at any of the hotels along Carpenter Road or Washtenaw Avenue areas as those areas aren't as "nice" or convenient, imho.

My daughter was accepted to Michigan last year. She didn't like the north campus/ main campus distinction and chose a self-contained university. Still, despite its sprawling nature, the main campus of the University of Michigan is gorgeous! Enjoy!

Edited: 30 January 2013, 19:34
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

Yes, I concur about avoiding hotels/motels along Carpenter or Washrenaw. They are old and tend to not be on great shape.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

The Dahlmann Campus Inn is close to campus and restaurants. You could stay there and not need a car. Maybe that makes it an affordable choice when you look at it that way.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

One last thought....make sure your daughter asks if they have a tour of North Campus. The regular tour takes you to many places the freshman don't frequent.(Unfortunately our tour guide took us to many places undergrads aren't permitted....it really turned my daughter off when over half the buildings we entered started with the introduction of "As an undergrad you can't work in here but isn't this building beautiful?) North campus is very nice and because many freshman spend lots of time there, it is worth the tour.

It is so amazing how the tour guide can make all of the difference in these college tours....

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

All the replies are good advice, I would, if on budget, look at alternatives like sub-leasing for a few days, couchsurfing or other alt. arrangements. As with any campus, people often have un-used space, are off for time and leave, maintain apts. and so on -- Notre Dame grads started a web page, cannot think of it now (will post when it comes to me) to rent out these type of spaces when they are not there *(usually around FB games)* to make it more affordable.

Last note, and not to scare you -- be cautious and go with your gut, if it does not feel right, listen and move on as MANY options exist.

Finally, Briarwood Mall and the area is some distance from campus and it not really walking distance, so if you do not have a car, make sure you know the bus schedule, as they are good to get you around but State St. is long and not too many sidewalks outside of campus --once your on campus it is fine but down by the Mall it is some distance from UM. Congrats to your Daughter and have fun !!!!!!!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

I could be wrong but I am assuming they will have a car. Most folks either drive to the University of Michigan from our area (the Philadelphia area) or fly to Detroit and rent a car.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

Weber's Inn, on Jackson Rd. is another good option, not far from downtown on the westside, with good dining options closeby (Metzger's German, Knight's Inn & Weber's in-house restaurant all solid local establishments).

http://www.webersinn.com

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
966 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

After quickly skimming over these I don't think anyone mentioned the Michigan League (right on campus, next to Hill Auditorium

(http://uunions.umich.edu/league/inn/). We've stayed there while visiting our son and really like it for the convenience. Their prices are quite reasonable. We've also stayed at the Residence Inn and it was decent (see my review).

And like others here, our son is a freshman at Michigan and absolutely loves it there - and his mom and dad really like visiting! Congratulations to your daughter (and her parents). That's a great accomplishment.

10. Re: Hotel for visit to University of Michigan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:18