We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for college tour

Which Ann Arbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay for college tour

Visiting in the spring for a tour of U of Mich. Its a musical theatre tour so I think that is north campus. Would like to be close to campus and downtown to get a feel for the area.

A restaurant would be nice as we will arrive late and tired. I usually stay at Marriott but I notice there's nothing like that here. So, location, comfort, food will be good. Any suggestions would be great.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for college tour

I'm thinking the nicest hotel convenient to North Campus is probably the Hawthorn Suites. Second would probably be Hampton Inn (the north one) or Microtel.

North Campus has a very different "feel" than the main campus area (more spread out, less integrated into the city of Ann Arbor, but on the upside many of the buildings are much newer). If that's where you will be spending the majority of your time you're probably better off to stay nearby. You should definitely come down to main campus which feels much more like a traditional university campus and it is integrated with downtown Ann Arbor. That's where most of the social/retail/dining scene is.

Lodging is limited on main campus (for places you just walk out onto campus) if you want to stay there. The nicest of those choices would be the Bell Tower Inn, followed by the Campus Inn, and then the Michigan League. There's a couple bed and breakfasts on campus as well. The only one I know anything about is this one:

http://annarborbedandbreakfast.com/

I've known two people who've stayed there and liked it.

North Campus is not a dining mecca for sure. If you're staying up there and arriving late, there's a couple Asian places for take out--BeWon Korean is good and very close to the hotels and Lucky Kitchen is about a mile further down Plymouth Road. For more generic food in a sit down restaurant there's Carsons for the wood grilled meat sort of dining (though I keep hearing so-so comments about it these days). Then there is a sprinkling of chains like Olga's, Panera, Chipotle, blech.

Main Campus dining is more diverse. You can just ask at whatever hotel you're staying at for the closest recommendation.

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for college tour

This is very helpful. Perhaps we will stay by the main campus. Sounds like a better feel. We definitely want to explore downtown and get the feel of it.

How about the Regent? I saw a couple of good reviews on that. There's probably a shuttle to get to north campus, or would you suggest a car?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for college tour

The Regent is new and is a gorgeous hotel. It is not on either campus though--it is about 3 or so miles from both North and Central campus. It is in an area that was pretty run down, but is now turning into suburbia with chain restaurants and big box stores by US 23. Not exactly what the university or the city advertises as the quintessential Ann Arbor experience/location!

I checked their website and it doesn't say anything about shuttle service to campus, but you might want to call to confirm.

If you end up driving onto campus these links about visitor parking will help you find a place to park (always a challenge!):

https:/…visitor.php

…umich.edu/patient_visitor/city_parking.php

The first link doesn't cover all the small visitor parking areas with just a few meters. I can't find a map with all those any more. I'm not familiar with the daytime restrictions near where you'll be on North Campus to provide good information.

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for college tour

Okay, I think since we want to be able to walk downtown and get the campus feel sounds like something like the Campus Inn might be best. Anything else in that area I should look at? Sounds like more to do than on the north end. We can always get to the north end for that part of our tour.

Thanks

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for college tour

I would also look at the Bell Tower Hotel and possibly the Michigan League. Bell Tower is a lovely classic hotel. There are a few nicer rooms at the Michigan League. Both are in excellent locations.

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for college tour

Thanks so very much. I think I like the Campus Inn. One more question.

Hilton Garden Inn? Looks like 2 miles but should that be an option? or downtown better?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for college tour

If I were coming for a visit (to any university) I would want to stay on campus, if possible. It gives a much better sense of what the campus and town are like. The hotels surrounding campus are predominantly travelers on university business. Boring!

California
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for college tour

Good point! Thanks so very much for you help. I think I will go with Campus Inn.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for college tour

I hope you and your student have a good visit! I'm in the sciences so I know nothing about musical theater, but I'm obviously biased about the university and the city. We enjoy Ann Arbor a lot.

NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for college tour

We are visiting UM this weekend with our daughter and stayed at the Hampton Inn North. It's actually a 2 minute drove to the North Campus, and approx 2.5 miles to the cental campus downtown. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and knowledgable about the area and have made us feel very comfortable. The rooms are very clean and appointed well. The only drawback is the size, the bathrooms are small with little vanity space. It's fine for 1-2 people, but a family of four will be a tight squeeze. Great value and great location, lots of restaurants and retail options nearby. They also offer a nice breakfast spread.