We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day hikes

ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best day hikes

We will be spending a week in St Wolfgang in June and are wondering what day hikes anyone would recommend? If we were to do only one 5 to 6 hour hike what one would you recommend ? I always prefer the personal opinions of TA members to the anonymity of a guide book.

Thanks.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day hikes

Without a doubt the Pilgrim's Way. You can get books in St Wolfgang about this famous walk, or try this link:

weissesroessl.at/en-vacations_austria-wander…

Although it wouldn't take 5 hours the way I would do it would be to get the ferry to St Gilgen and walk back to St Wolfgang rather than the other way round. It should take about 3 hours. We're more into flat walks - I've posted a travel article about the flatties we did!

ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day hikes

Thank you nildesperanda. I have printed out your posting to bring with me. The walks all sound gorgeous.

Solihull, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day hikes

I would agree with the earlier reply. The Pilgrims Way is a lovely walk, with a pleasant stretch from St Gilgen (which is a delightful village, by the way) which is alongside the lake as you reach Furberg. You then climb quite steeply on a wide gravel track to the chapel (don`t forget to ring the bell). Just before the chapel there is a smaller track on the right which, I understand, leads one towards the edge of the cliff for a good view of the lake. However, we were told it was a difficult path and that almost the same view could be enjoyed at a later diversion. After the chapel the path climbs a little further to the summit. On the right here a steep path leads to the cliff edge for the aforementioned view. The descent is less steep, through woods. Just before you reach the tarmac road which drops steeply down to Falkenstein village, take the Riedersteig path on the left for a beautiful walk through woods and fields to join the road down from Aschinger. When you come across the cog railway, cross it on a path leading to the waterfall at Hupfmuhle where there is a good gasthoff for food and drink. Exit via the opposite side, turn right towrds St Wolfgang then left on a lovely road and path travelling high above the town then dropping to come out by the Post Office.

Another walk is along to the other end of the lake to Stobl and then back on the southern side to Reith. Generally flat, but with an interesting section just before Stobl where the path drops to a timber boardwalk projecting over the water`s edge. In Reith make your way to the Camping Wolfgangblick site by the lakeside where a small ferry runs continuously across to St Wolfgang.

Have a good time!

4. Re: Best day hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 01:17