We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari from Kasane to Maun?

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Safari from Kasane to Maun?

My wife and I will be traveling to Botswana for several days in late November/early December. We'll be arriving in Victoria Falls on the 27th and then heading to Kasane/Chobe on the 28th. On the 29th we're planning to reach Audi Camp in Maun. We would prefer not to drive from Kasane to Maun. Instead, we would be interested in taking a 1-day mobile safari from Kasane, through Chobe, to Maun. Do these exist? If so, which operators offer them? If not, what other method would you suggest going from Kasane to Maun? Thanks in advance!

Maun
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari from Kasane to Maun?

I don't know of anyone that would voluntarily lead a trip that is only one night between Kasane and Maun - especially if there is a chance of rain!

If you are on a budget, catch a bus from Kasane - Nata - Gweta ovenright Planet Baobab and then bus from there to Maun.

Or better still, spend an extra day in Kasane and fly with Air Botswana on the 29th to Maun. you have one more day to do activities in Chobe and Air Botswana is excellent value check out www.airbotswana.co.bw for the cheapest fares, this is their own website, not a tour operator.

Regards

Erica

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari from Kasane to Maun?

I agree 100% with Erica.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari from Kasane to Maun?

Yup! I agree fully as well.

The 4X4 route from Kasane to Maun is two days of fairly hard driving, not a safari. The average speed for 200km odd is about 30km/hr, without allowing for the possibility of getting stuck. While the route is possible in two days, it's not viable.

The road trip via Nata will take you about 8 hours of driving. The roads are generally OK, but there are some bad bits. Not to mention veterinary stops, and comfort breaks.

Great advice from Erica.

4. Re: Safari from Kasane to Maun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:16