We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Hi can't seem to find out if we can take red meat into Ihaha campsite from Kasane. Got it all sorted for the rest of our trip but can anyone tell me if its going to be chicken again?

thanks Charlie (less than 6 weeks to go!!! :)

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Hi Charlie. I thought one of the regulars would have posted. If there is no Vet fence between Kasane and Ihaha I wouldn't think there would be a problem. In the old days when Serondela was a public campsite we used to bring bacon, beer, steak, beer, wors, beer, biltong oh and some beer :-). I don't see why Ihaha would be different

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

I agree with GaberoneKenneth,

I've never had a problem taking meat into Ihaha from Kasane.

The last time I drove the Ngoma Road (about three months ago), it appeared that they were constructing a vet check-point at the intersection at Ngoma, but I don't know if it's active or will prevent meat travelling southwards.

To my knowledge, the only checkpoint on that route is the "Buffalo Gate" near Shorobe (in other words you can take meat southwards into Moremi, but not into Maun). This may change, though.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Thanks guys, steak and beer at Ihaha it is then!

By the way I contacted the butcher in Palapaye to arrange to pick up an order and he says I can take red meat into Central Kalahari, we are staying at Deception and Sunday campsites? I thought all this time I could only take chicken and fish? is he right do you know, thanks again Charlie

Province of...
Level Contributor
207 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

I will be departing Kasane and going into Savuti, Moremi and finally Maun. From what I understand I can take meat from Kasane into Savuti and Moremi but not to Maun, right?

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

@Charlie. There are vet fences on the roads between Palapye/ Francistown/Orapa Francistown/Nata/Maun and Serowe/Orapa so you may have some problems at one or all of these. (Especially if you vehicle is foreign registered!)

Edited: 11 June 2013, 15:34
Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Thanks won't risk it then. Chicken and fish is fine for a few days. We will have a SA registered vehicle. C

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

If Ngoma Gate is operational, they will inspect your vehicle for meat and other restricted items. Coming out of Maun there are gates on the A3 and B300 (Makalambedi vet fence), if you are going on to the CKGR.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

I think you can brown the meat you get in Maun and be allowed to pass the Makalamabedi vet fence without them confiscating it. Otherwise it seems like a long ways to go for meat to Palapye. Another option is to contact Gails Shopping Service in Maun (to see if she has a date to be open). I am told her gourmet frozen meals are quite good. gailsshoppingservice.com/GailsGourmet.html

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Hi thanks coming from Jberg to Palapaye to Central Kalahari then onto Maun. C

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meat from Kasane into Chobe Ihaha

Hi Charlie,

Probably the best source of fresh meat and groceries is a large Spar suipermarket in Serowe, en route to CKGR. There is another large Spar in Lethlakane. For years, I've bought most of our fresh products at either or both of them (I usually forget half the stuff at the first).

The Serowe Spar is on the Main intersection before you turn towards Lethlakane/CKGR. The Lethlakane Spar is about 2kms off the main road, after turning right at the first turn-off.

You can usually take meat straight through to CKGR if you travel northwest. If you travel south-east it will be confiscated. However, they do change the rules sometimes (ostensibly for "an outbreak", or simply an escape from the larder - LOL!), so be prepared to lose it sometimes (i.e. keep your stocks as low as possible). Depending on "outbreaks", the Lethlakane one is often open both ways.

Watch out for fresh fruit - that's often considered fair game any which way.

I believe "cooked" meat is OK, but the definition is open to interpretation (usually theirs)!