We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon, Wiltshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

My wife and I are thinking about a SAGA trip to Chobe Safari Lodge (7 days) and Victoria Falls (3 days) in January. The TA reviews of the Safari Lodge are a bit mixed, maybe as expected, but the references to a lot of bugs and dodgy food are a bit worrying, and others say that a week at the lodge is too long. I can find few reviews from people who have done the SAGA trip, which has a good looking itinerary, and I suspect SAGA only put the good ones on their own web site.

So what is the advice please? Is it a clean lodge, with not too many bugs around (I have a bit of anachraphobia which is not brilliant for travelling to Africa, I know)? Is January a good time to go?

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

Chobe Safari Lodge is a large hotel style Lodge on the banks of the Chobe River. I have always found the rooms comfortable and clean.

I must admit, 7 nights at CSL does sound a long while, most people would stay for 3 nights, Are you sure that the 7 nights does not include the opportunity to spend some time at their sister Lodge Moremi Crossing in the Okavango, as I know they do offer packages which include both.

Food is plentiful, and good but not Haute Cuisine, it is international in style, and they often offer a Buffet as well as a la carte.

It is well placed for safaris in the Chobe National Park and offers a range of other activities including fishing, horse riding, nature walks and of course the Chobe River Cruises.

Bugs in Africa are a problem, although the Chobe Safari Lodge does spray the grounds for anti mosquito. Rooms also include mosquito nets, and bug spray as well as anti mosquito creams. Hopefully it will not be a problem for you.

January is a good time, expect some rain, game viewing can be limited as there is plenty of water in the Chobe National Park, and so wildlife will be more spread out, not having to concentrate around the river.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

I rather agree that a week in a Chobe seems a bit long, especially when there are other great areas nearby that you could include.

In January, there are lots of great deals around at various safari camps, and I'd recommend you look at having something tailor made rather than a prepackaged tour. You could split the 7 nights between 2 camps, and still have 3 nights in Victoria Falls.

Swindon, Wiltshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

Thanks for the advice. As well as the game drives from the lodge, the itinerary includes a couple of half day Chobe river cruises, a light aircraft flight following the Zambezi and a day trip to the Okavango Delta, so we wouldn't be at the lodge all the time.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

I didn't think you'd be at the lodge all the time. What I meant is that 7 days is too much for the area- I think the time could be better spent elsewhere. I'm usually a fan of longer stays, but in the right area, and I don't think Chobe is the right place for 7 nights especially in Jan.

I have been to Chobe a couple of times. I thought the highlight was the river cruises, and seeing large numbers of elephants in the water. However, I understand you don't get such big herds in the green season, because there's more water available away from the river. For game drives, I've always found the Chobe area a bit too busy, with large numbers of vehicles congregating at sightings, although in Jan that might not be so bad. Overall, having been a couple of times, I won't rush to include Chobe in future trips to Botswana. For someone who hasn't been before, it's worth including but probably just for a couple of days. If you could stretch to 8 nights, I would maybe do 2 in Chobe, and 3 each in two other camps in the delta, perhaps one with more dry land activities, and another with a mix of land and water. Or skip Chobe and do a 3-4 split between two camps.

Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

As mentioned above check if the 7 days includes Chobe Safari Lodge and one of the other Under One Botswana Sky lodges in the Delta as this is a common package for these lodges/camps. If it is 3 nights in Chobe Safari Lodge it may also include a day trip to Victoria Falls. 7 days at CSL would be a long time, regardless of the fact that it is a nice (although large) lodge.

Enjoy!

Clive

SGS Africa

Chobe

6. Re: Chobe Safari Lodge in January 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18