We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

We are traveling a trip in July 2015 with our two teenage sons. We would like to see Victoria Falls, raft the Zambezi River for 1 day and then go to Botswana and see as many animals as possible and enjoy the beauty. Someone recommended staying in Mechenge and going out with them. When I llked at the cost I wondered if this was the best choice. Also wondered if staying in only Chobe was the best choice. Please advise what you would recommend.

Solana Beach, San...
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

Hi, I think based on limited information you might have 7 or 8 night to play with? I also am not sure what budget you have. To get the ball rolling you will probably want 3 nights in the Victoria Falls area as much to do with teenage sons. i used to live there as a raft guide and it is great fun. A canoe safari on the Upper Zambezi is something to consider too. This leave 3 or 4 nights on safari. Chobe will be fine and lots of animals but my only reluctance is this area is the only part of Botswana that can get too busy. But your choice of camo is a good idea. If youi have a laregr budget then I would fly away from this area into the Linyanti / Chobe areas instead.

As a good or even better alternative for probably a similar budget, I might suggest Hwange in Zimbabwe. It adjoins Chobe area and has great game and I think has some great camps too.

Hope this helps and is food for thought.

John Spence - Owner - Aardvark safaris, California

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

Hi Fillymay1,

Muchenje is in the Chobe Forrest Reserve so it does not have the issues of crowds like you might face if you stayed in the Kasane area but there will certainly be more land rovers seen per day in the Chobe when you game drive vs. a safari in the Okavango Delta or in Hwange National Park Zimbabwe (like John said).

I am interpreting your comment on “cost” above as being that you think Muchenje is expensive. I actually think it is one of the best values in Botswana but it is still quite expensive relative to places in Zimbabwe or parts of the Kruger ecosystem where you might see an equal number (or more) of animals per day. Perhaps you can do one three day safari in South Africa followed by time in Cape Town then Vic Falls and then finish up with 2 days at Muchenje to keep costs down or three days in Hwange. Here are some ideas:

Day 1 SFO-IAD-JNB on United/SAA Star Alliance.

Day 2 Jo’burg – City Lodge OR Tambo.

Day 3,4,5 Tanda Tula, Kambaku, or Shindzela in the Timbavati. Kruger National Park ecosystem.

Day 6,7,8 Cape Town – More Quarters 2br apartment.

Day 9,10,11 Victoria Falls – many choices. Activities like rafting are expensive so perhaps keep costs down by staying at less expensive accommodations? Victoria Falls Safari lodge would be ok on the budget.

Day 12,13,14 End with two days at Muchnje or Ngoma or three days in Hwange at The Hide or Camp Hwange.

Day 15 Fly home VFA-JNB-IAD-SFO

Our managing director for Africa at our company lives in Richmond. He knows all the best local safari agents/boutique tour operators that could put this type of trip together. Perhaps consider contacting Kili McGown at Next Adventures? You could meet with her face to face.

Good luck.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

I agree with John that Chobe can get very busy. I would suggest a couple of nights there and then moving on. It might also be an idea to look at a Mobile Safari option for your visit to Botswana. Mobile Safaris can be arranged to suit just about any budget and comfort level.

4. Re: plan for 8 days in Victoria Falls and Botswans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:15