We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

asia
4 posts
Save Topic
More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Hi all,

We going to Siem Reap in April, and our plan are as follows:

17 April arrive Siem Reap at 8am

24 April depart from Phnom Penh at 8am

By the time we check in to the Siem Reap hotel on the first day, it will be noon already, and the journey to SR to Phnom Penh takes 6 hours, thus we have a total of 6 full days of sightseeing.

Question: Should we take the bus to Phnom Penh on

1. 22 April - 7am bus ( SR 4.5 day & PP1.5day ) or

2. 21 April - 2pm bus ( SR 4 day & PP 2 day )

Should we spend more time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Any advice would be appreciated....

PS: we are a group of 3 girls from S'pore, any lone lady wishes to join us in Siem Reap to share car rental/guide costs is welcome.

JJ

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Hi JJ,

I would do the 4 days in Siem Reap and 2 in Phnom Penh. Theres quite a lot to see in PP and 1.5 days for me would not be anywhere near enough (we stayed 3 weeks last trip in PP and 3 days in Siem Reap. Have a look at my Phnom Penh pages for lots of info on shopping, what to see and do and eating etc. Theres also a lot of good temples you can see from PP.

Cathy

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com

asia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Hi Cathy

Thanks for your advices! Very much appreciated...

I will visit your website for more info on Phnon Penh.

We are wondering should we reserve a guide who also drive in advance or should we go there to find one. What I understood is that getting a guide and a driver seperately cost more then getting a guide who can also act as a driver.

Recommendations given by members in this forum were either on driver or guide seperately...couldn't find one acting as both driver & guide.....

JJ

Vietnam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

You should spend more time in Siemreap as Siemreap is the wonder of the World and you can visit up to months. For Phnompenh, you just need 1 full day tour to visit all the city and surrrounding sights.

- To save cost, 3 of you should rent a tuk tuk (15/day) and travel around

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

JJ, We did not use a guide, we hired a tuk-tuk for 3 days to take us to the various places. Though we did hire him in advance.

Cathy

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

JJ, There are also many beautiful temples and ruins close to Phnom Penh, believe me it is certainly worth staying there more than one day.

Cathy

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

We spent 4 days in Siem Reap and used the services of Peou, a punctual and informative driver who streamlined our visit saving us time and money. It cost $25 a day and he will meet you at Siem Reap airport. Interested people contact me for his contact details.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

Just spent 2 days in SR and wish we had longer (didn't go to PP). Whether you use a guide and driver or just a tuk-tuk depends entirely on if you want the detailed info that a guide has to offer as opposed to just wandering around on our own. We used Sy through Saron (see earlier posts), he was great, had a driver with him, spoke good English, met us at the airport and took us back, and did a good job of planning the day so that we weren't always with the crowds. I would definitely recommend him. We liked learning so much about the temples, I don't think we would have gotten as much out of the experience with him. Do the floating village too, it's fascinating!! Cost was I think $25/day for the guide and another $15 for the driver.

8. Re: More time in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 19:18