We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
currency

Hi,

just wanted to find out what currency to use in cambodia? us dollars or cambodian riel?

if usd where do I change them, thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

Hi, both US $ and Riel are used, in the main you will get riel in small change, notes of 500 upwards - around 4000 to a US$. There are no coins used in Cambodia.

We found it best to take US$ with us and it is important that the notes are not damaged in any way, traders will not accept damaged or badly worn US$ notes.

Most hotels will exchange at poor rates but ANZ Royal Bank have a branch and auto teller in Siem Reap where you can exchange or after bank hours draw US$ on a maestro/cirrus or visa/mastercard, if you intend using the autotellers you will need to ensure that you have a 4 digit pin number as they will not work otherwise, best check with your bank prior to departure.

Spend your riel as it is almost impossible to exchange back, even the departure tax at the airport is US$. Have a great time in this wonderful country and spend up, as you will soon realise the locals need it.

2. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2007, 20:54
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

I change EUR to USD at money changers.

In SR I got USD at a money changer at the end of Pub Street. I think they have better rates than banks...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

They use both but I think USD is the preferred on. Interestingly, the money comes out of the ATM is also USD. That was rather strange!

Just make sure you have small USD denominations.

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

thanks for all the info, how much again is the departure tax and is there a money changer in the airport, i am arriving around 9 pm and was not sure if there were any money changers open in the city at that time....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Hi, details of taxes and other info etc can be found on www.mot.gov.kh - international is US$20, exchange rates at airports are very poor so would suggest that you bring some small US$, especially $1's. You will not need to exchange for riel as you will get some in small change when you buy stuff. As suggested in other posts it is best to bring US$ in small demoninations and in good condition, most traders will give it a good look due to counterfit, be aware if using street money changers and check every note. Most hotels will will break up a large US$ note for you as best to go out with 1, 5 and 10's. Cheers..

Hanoi
Level Contributor
377 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

Last time I travelled to Cambodia I only use Thai Bath and US but this time I think I will bring only US along.

Its very convinient in Cambodia to use US$ because menu, price in shops... almost displayed in US$

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

My hubby and I made trip to Siem Reap (13-16 August 2007). We had an impression that can only shop using USDs, but were pleasantly surprised when some of them were willing to take Malaysian Ringgit. Actually, some of them take most major currencies which trade higher than their own.

The stalls at Angkor Wat gladly took Malaysian Ringgit, and for paintings that started off withUSD50, ended up paying MYR 50. Bargain all your way!!!

A good place to shop for souveniers is the stalls near Angkor Wat and Center Market (in the city). Tour guides like to take tourists to another shopping spot- Old Market but the bargains there are not too good. They usually refuse to bring down the prices.

Siem Reap
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

U.S dollar is the preffered currency even over riel the local currency. There are a number of ATMs now in Siem Reap where you can withdraw U.S dollar 24hrs a day.

Bring nice crisp notes to Cambodia though as most places will not accept torn notes.

Departure tax is 25$ by the way.

10. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 15:17