We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siem reap or more ?

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
siem reap or more ?

i will be travelling in south east asia in november and will be pressed for time and am currently considering flying from saigon to siem reap spending 3 days there and then flying onto bangkok, is this an economical way to see the best of cambodia or am i missing the best bits >.....

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: siem reap or more ?

If you could squeeze a couple of extra days out of it, you could also go to Phnom Penh. with 3 days it would be very hard to go to both places and have a good nose around!

Some will say 3 days in SR in ideal, which it is to hit the main temples, a few smaller ones, see the town, and other things like tonle sap, silk farm, kbal spean, etc.

Others will say you can see everything in a day, and others will say 2 weeks isn't enough (i'm in that camp! lol)

So, if you only have 3 days, stick to SR, if you can get a couple more days, then add in PP too

Tokyo
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: siem reap or more ?

You did miss, Siem Reap isnt all about Cambodia. I would recommend Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville. Sihanouville is the best place ever, to my opinion.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: siem reap or more ?

If you arrive late in Siem Reap and leave early after a couple days, that will hardly do the place justice. Try to spend at least 4 whole days there (that was all I had 3 years ago, and regretted I was only there for such a short time that I am going back for a whole week this December!), and definitely plan on 2 or 3 days in Phnom Penh. Charming city, lots to see.

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: siem reap or more ?

I would juz do siem reap... angkor wat temples r amazing so since u r in e region..do not give it a miss... 3D might b a bit short to fully appreciate wat angkor wat has to offer but it is sufficient to capture e essence of angkor wat..

Do check out my reply to "2Days in Siem Reap - Help"

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: siem reap or more ?

We spent 4 days in SR and that seemed about right. You can get a 3 day temple pass for $40.

It is a pity that you don't have the time to come overland via Sihanoukville, up to PP for a few days and then on to SR.

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: siem reap or more ?

Angkor is so extraordinary (and vast) that 3 days is the absolute minimum amount of time to spend there. I was there for 9 days in June and wrote these 1, 3 and 7-day itinerary recommendations for family and friends. Some food for thought. Have an amazing time!

leahlau.com/pdfs/…20070608.pdf

leahlau.com/pdfs/…20Books.pdf

7. Re: siem reap or more ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 13:19