We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bury St Edmunds UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

planning a visit to Siem Reap this august. Looking for a hotel or guest house that is totally non- smoking. I know most places have non smoking rooms but in our experience the odour lingers. Have an asthmatic family hence the query.

Staying 3 nights. Any suggestions wrt not to miss expeditions?

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

We're both very sensitive to smoke & stayed at Raffles Grand d'Angkor in the poolside cabana rooms, in the 'new' wing. The hotel is spotless & the hallways are marble, so there's no carpet to absorb smoking. The rooms have marble floors too, topped with oriental rugs. I'd avoid the Landmark building rooms, just to be safe.

There is NO smoking in the restaurants, cafes or bars, lobby or hallways. The service is stupendous, the breakfast (get the meal plan w/ breakfast) is fantastic, the ambiance intoxicating.

If you want a guest house, Viroth's is nice, but I can't say whether it's full of smokers or not, write & ask.

Hire an experienced guide directly (don't use the hotel's as they overcharge & the better guides work freelance) & email the guide the areas that interest you.

Obviously, you want a half-day at Angkor Wat, a half-day at Bayon, Elephant Terrace, Terrace of Leper Kings. Also Benteay Kdei is lovely, spread out & has shade. I suggest an hour's drive (extra charge for fuel) to Banteay Srei to see the Hindu temple carved of pink limestone, try to see it close to sunset, so the light bathes the pink limestone in a soft light, so your photos come out great (and you avoid crowds).

If you want to climb about a jungle temple, another hour's driver further is Beng Melea, which you can see in the AM, have lunch, drive back to see Banteay Srei PM. Due to the wet season, you may want to have the guide rent an SUV as the road will be muddy to Beng Melea & Koh Ker... If you want to see a remote temple w/ no tourists around it, Koh Ker is 3 hours drive NE of Siem Reap & the only temple that looks like a pyramid & the woods are surrounded by minefields, still.

There are bird sanctuaries that are nearby in the wet season, Artisans d'Angkor to see the best carvers, Landmine Victims Museum, the Little Angels, a school/orphanage near Rolous where you can buy carved leather pictures that the kids carve themselves ($10+) & the money goes directly to the child. Cash only. If you go to Little Angels, ask your guide to take you to a supermarket in Siem Reap, so you can buy a large sack of rice to donate to help feed the kids. Don't buy them candy, fruit or other nutritional stuff, enough to feed 35 kids.

Our guide Tek donates food to this school, as does his driver.

Our guide was Tek, he's been guiding for 9 years & is terrific, he's currently guiding a Canadian galpal of mine for 6 nights, including an overnight to Banteay Chmar which is about 4--5 hours drive NW to an incredible temple.

Tek can be reached via email at: LengTek@yahoo.com

or you can call him 855/ 12 714 790

Tek can make a whole schedule for you & give you a quote which will include his guide services, the cost of a driver, you can also ask him to include temple passes, which he will take you to get to photographed for, there's a 1,2,3, week pass.

A licensed guide will give the best bang for your buck because they can get you around in/out faster & since you have limited time, take you to the best areas of the temples.

Ta Phrom temple (Tomb Raider) is loaded with tourists, ditto for the fishing village on Tonle Sap lake, very touristy, avoid.

Depending upon the length of day, guides are $25-$30 a day, drivers w/ a Toyota Camry w/ A/C $25, vans & SUVs are more.

Distant temples incur a fuel surcharge. Drivers carry umbrellas, bottled water & wash clothes, plus they stay w/ the car, so you can leave your stuff while you walk about w/ the guide.

If you need more info, email me privately.

bury St Edmunds UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

Thank you for your response. My budget does not extend to Raffles unfortunately. The itinerary sounds good. will ask more questions later on once I have organised accommodation.

cheers

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

Hi,

If you choose to stay somewhere small , maybe with seperate roms , villas . You should be OK.

I stayed at The Palm Villa Hotel in March, and the rooms are all free standing, and definately , no smoking in the rooms . There were some ash trays on some of the outside verandas , but not all.

They seem to discourage smoking throughout the hotel.

It is a nice plce to stay too!!!!

Lindy.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,641 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

Hi mapras

smoking/non smoking rules in cambodia are not the same as UK or Australia. A poster above said restaurants at the hotel were non-smoking, but many eateries are not.

make sure you bring puffers and other asthma meds

on the 'not to be missed' side - Preah khan early in the morning (before the crowds arrive) is sublime - so peaceful and calm!

don't forget the hats, blockout and drink heaps of water - once you're thirsty you are already dehydrated. this is particularly important with kids.

safe travels

Helen

5. Re: non-smoking accommodation in siem reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 15:19