We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

Would like to know the best way to get from Kampong Thom to Kampong Cham and is Kampong Cham worth a visit?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

Songthaew, shared taxi or private car. Any destination being "worth it" is completely up to the individual traveler. Read here for what Travelfish has to say about it.

travelfish.org/location/…kompong_cham

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

i dont think it is worh a visit we spent a night at a home stay there last year which was very interesting because we saw the real cambodia where people get less than $2 a day for labour, even had a quick go at rice harvesting which was difficult in the heat, not the glam of siem reap whic is as unlike cambodia as it gets. but as for the town itself no not worth a visit, it takes about 2 maybe 3 hours to get between the two on a bus

Malaysia
Level Contributor
152 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

I like the way that the Malay word for village is Kampung and the Cambodian name is Kampong. We're related!!

David

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
204 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

Hi David,

Sorry I have to disappoint you. Initially, I too thought the words are similar. However, I asked my friend, (an Angkor guide) who said 'kampong' in Khmer means 'port'; not village ('kampung' in Malay). So the two words do not have the same meaning. However, another Khmer word is very similar to Malay. Phsar(Khmer) = pasar (Malay) = market (English). I'm sure there is some connection somewhere.

Anyway, we are all God's children & that is all that matters. Warmest regards.

5. Re: Best way to get from Kampong thom to Kampong Cham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:18