We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Hi all

I am heading to Siem Reap next year...just looking at hotels and becomimg a little confused now...we usually stay in 5 star properties, after something close to town (central) so we can access other restaurants, markets ect ect...Have looked at La Residence...but its a little bit expensive....wanted to pay around the $150 aus. per night....

Any advice is welcomed.....thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Hi

You can find excellent accommodation in the US$40-$50 range in Cambodia.

To get you started,first have a look at the FAQs page here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c120308/Siem-…

and at the bottom of the page is a link to "Canby Publications" which will give you a good list of hotels in the area (as well as other valuable advice).

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Don't pay $150 pn. Get out with the real people and stay at a locally run hotel.

You will have a much more memorable experience than staying in a western style 4 or 5 star hotel. Surely you aren't going all the way to Cambodia to have the comforts of home with an occasional glimpse of reality.

Do a search, there are numerous hotels and guesthouses in the $20 to $40 range who will treat you like royalty and give memories that will last.

Newcastle,Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Hello

We are looking forward to our first visit to Siem Reap next month.We are booked into the City River hotel-obviously cannot comment yet however I am one to really do lots of research on accommodation and this property gets good reviews.

We have traveled all over Asia and have always been fortunate to pick a very good hotel in about the 3-4 star category.

I know it can become confusing in trying to get the right hotel but after pouring over all the details I'm sure (I hope) we will be happy at the City River Hotel so I would suggest to have a look at the reviews .

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

the mid ranged hotels are great value and city river,claremont angkor and the bopha angkor are excellent value and great location..

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Although I totally agree with all the above I urge you to check out Shinta Mani. It is a small high-end boutique hotel and spa a bit under your price range and it does marvelous things for the community including but not limited to running one of the best free hospitality training schools for poor young people from the Siem Reap area. When I had the good fortune to meet the man who started and owns the property I discovered not only that he held 'corporate social responsibility' in extremely high regard (as many hotel and guesthouse owners in Siem Reap do) but that he started this now very successful hotel in order to realize his dream of such a hospitality training institute. Check it out at least before you decide.

Phnom Penh
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

You can find the 5-star- hotel such as Angkor Village Resort and Hotel, Angkor Palace Resort, and Angkor Miracle when you are in Siem Reap. The price is around 150$ and less than 150$. Find the best hotel and holiday in Siem Reap Cambodia, Kingdom Of Wonder !

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

I agree with the poster who said to stay in a locally run hotel. I was just in Siem Reap a couple of weeks ago and we stayed at the Golden Banana Boutique Resort. Great place! We paid $75ish and I felt that it was a great value. Lovely staff and beautiful surroundings. The location is ideal as it's a close walk to the town center.

There are many options in Siem Reap. I have stayed at Angkor Village (currently closed for remodeling but I would say rather a lack of business) and also have stayed at La Villa Loti. All were great choices depending on your requirements. I would tell you...avoid one of the big ridiculous resorts there.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

You can read TA Q.A for travel.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

You can read Q&A in TA

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Helps if you post a link...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297390-c120308/Siem-…

Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap
Recent Conversations