We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Hi all

I am heading to Siem Reap next year...just looking at hotels and becomimg a little confused now...we usually stay in 5 star properties, after something close to town (central) so we can access other restaurants, markets ect ect...Have looked at La Residence...but its a little bit expensive....wanted to pay around the $150 aus. per night....

Any advice is welcomed.....thanks

USA
4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

You can find excellent accommodation in the US$40-$50 range in Cambodia.

ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Don't bother staying close to town, its a really quick ride on a tuk tuk anyway. I stayed at Pavilion Indochine Hotel and was closer to Ankor Wat. Also they have a resturant and food was great. Went into town two times while I was there May. First of all the area is blocked off at about 7pm and guarded by police for tourist saftey, which made me feel as if I were a zoo attraction. Both resturants I ate at in town were horrible, even though they were recommended. The shops are a rip off in town and the shop keepers get mad if you look and don't buy. Did not go to the high end shops out side of down town area (which is about a 4 or 5 block area) so I don't know about them. They do have street food, but I did not try it (was very careful though Cambodia, Thailand and Bali and I NEVER GOT SICK) But we didn't eat at high end places either.

You will get borded walking downtown because the tourist area is so small unless you are into bars and hanging out, not much there, spend more time in the outskirts. Also do not belive that the town is walkable from your hotel, get a tuk tuk it is included in hotel price or very cheep.

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Boy, do you sound like a New Yorker........

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Fedupmom -

Are you sure you were visiting the same Siem Reap as the rest of us?

Saline, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

II was in Siem Reap in September of 2009. I stayed at the City River Hotel and posted a review on Trip Advisor. I traveled solo but the hotel is fine for families. The room was huge and beautifully decorated - the bathroom clean. You can check on current price but I paid about 75 USD for two nights and that included some laundry and a massage. Breakfast was included and more than adequate. I reserved a room via the website. Staff was excellent. The internet is free and the rooftop pool was excellent. The city market and the many restaurants near the market are a 5 minute walk: down the street along the river and across the bridge. Tut-tut drivers are all around to take you to Angkor Wat. Also visit the Artisans Workshop. I took the Mekong Express Bus to Phnom Penh.

16. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 06:35
USA
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

How about the City River Hotel? Who stayed before? Help me !

Saline, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

City River is excellent choice. See my post about it. Easy walk to the market. Ample breakfast, helpful staff, great room.

19. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 06:35
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First time in Siem Reap - some expert advice needed!

Stay at the Kazna Hotel. It's centrally located, family-run, inexpensive, and you will be treated like royalty. Check out all the reviews on TA. They don't lie.