We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to do massage alone?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to do massage alone?

Hi,

I am so into massages when overseas, but have had a few unhappy experiences in certain places where the operators keep pressing for larger tips and sometimes even border on being suspicious with your belongings, etc. Should I be wary of where I put my belongings in massage places in siem reap and what is the normal tips I should be giving on top of the quoted price? Are there other types of unwritten rules I should be aware of?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

I've experienced nothing like what you have explained in Cambodia, and I've had many massages there. Leave your valuables in the safety box in your hotel, or put them at your side when you are getting the massage. (That's what I do)

Maybe you were thinking of Vietnam, where those "massage scams" are common...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

We had massages in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and had no worries at all. Also tips weren't expected.

If you can find the Seeing Hands Massages. Great massages and a good cause.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

I agree with above. You might be offered "other services" but that would be about all. No scams. Tips accepted but not solicited. Keep your valuables at your side --much better than leaving in a hotel room safe. Good cheap massages in SR.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
76 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

My aunt and I went to a place our guide took us; very clean, very pleasant and no worries about our safety or our belongings. Absolutely no pressure to add on other services either. As a matter of fact, we were so relaxed we forgot to tip the girls and no one said anything, and they welcomed us back when we returned a couple of days later.

Now, the place we went was more expensive than the $5 places you can find on Bar Street and elsewhere in SR, but the privacy and cleanliness was well worth it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

Thanks everyone! That's a huge relief. I'm sure I am going to enjoy myself thoroughly. My trip's just next week!

KL
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

The price for foot/body massages $5 per hour. there a lot of places in pub street next to old market.

7. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 11:57
8. Re: Is it safe to do massage alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:19