We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating village

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Floating village

Hi,

Looking to visit the floating village on Tonle Sap while in Siem Reap. So far the tours we've heard about all include visits to a crocodile farm, fish farm etc. We don't really have any interest in any of these other than the floating village and a nice boat trip on the lake.

Is it possible to just do the floating village without all the extras? If so, would anybody have any advice on how to go about this.

Thanks.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floating village

Ask your hotel to book you a trip there or go to a nearby travel agency.

Read more about it on the Canby site here (scroll down a bit)-

canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtonlesap.htm

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floating village

This company runs half and full day tours to the floating villages without the need to visit crocodile farm etc.

www.buffolotrails-cambodia.com

The horse riding at the 'Happy Ranch' is a facinating way to see the cambodian countryside - can't reccomend highly enough.

www.thehappyranch.com

Mudgee, Australia
Destination Expert
for Mudgee
Level Contributor
206 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floating village

As always communication can be a problem so be very specific about what you want. After having been to the floating village and crossing Ton le Sap, I have grave reservations at the whole thing. Yes the village appears to need visitors to help its economy but on the other hand , dozens of fuel burning, oil leaking boats going around the village evry single day must be very deleterious to the lake. Whatever you dont go from PP to Siem Riep by boat.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floating village

How about the carbon footprint we are making on our round-trip long haul flights to get over there? :-0

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floating village

check out the tara riverboat tours,they do private tours every day www.taraboat.com just tell them what you want and dont want to see..the floating village is worth a visit

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Floating village

the tuk tuk driver who we had been using for several days took us to the place at Tonle Sap from where you take the boats out to the lake. There are dozens of boats and it appears to be run by a sort of cooperative, ther is a man at a desk selling tickets. . The rate for a boat was around usd25, we managed to hook up with another tourist , so 3 of us with a very good guide.The people that were coming by minibus on I assume an organised trip, were with about 20 others in a boat. The trip lasted about 2 hours looking at the floating village and learning about the community. You are able to get off at several places but I didn't find much of interest. It depends on what you have already experienced in the Far East as to if you find it interesting or not. . The so called crocodile farm was a filthy pool littered in plastic bags, another 'sight' was one turtle in a fetid tank miles too small, there was a fly blown tea house and some fish in an equally filthy , plastic littered pool. We didn't bother with the stop whereby you can buy some books, pencils etc.at a shop and then visit an orphanage or school to hand out the gifts. I am always concerned when children are used like zoo inmates, I am sure there are many other worthy causes in Cambodia that can be supported. That is just my opinion and I know that many will differ . All in all, it wasn't the most exciting trip of our one month's visit to Cambodia and Thailand. Tara Boats seemed very popular but the small boats used to transfer to the big boat were not suitable for my husband who has mobility problems. There are reviews of Tara on Tripadvisor.

usa
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Floating village

the floating village is very interesting and the environmental centre is certainly worth the visit,we been out with the tara riverboat tours and found them very accommadating with there tours and very flexable also.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Floating village

Taking a straw/grass-burning Ox cart from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh at circa 20 km max per day is hardly a realistic option. Could be quite a photo-journalist trip though. Not sure of the methane count though.

If we live in the 21st century then we just have to accept some carbon foot prints, be it aeroplane, bus, boat or car/taxi van etc.

Cambodia has experienced going back to year Zero and it was not a fun experience.

How did you get to Cambodia by the way?

All best regards. Ian

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Floating village

I suggest visiting the largest floating village called Kampong Khleng. Its about 30 minutes from Siem Reap and only a handful of tourists visit each day. Its hard to find any information on trips here, we heard about if from our taxi driver. There is jetty with boats for hire. We paid $30 for 2 hours, doubtless our driver was getting cut from that.

singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Floating village

we did a sunset tour and a kompong phluk tour without the visit to the fish farm as we had already seen this on a previous tour,we did use the guys from the tara boat both times and found them very safe and accommadating to our needs.using this method we avoided any problem at the check point