We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

From my previous posts, you will see that this is not something I have ever done before. But having travelled extensively, I think that when you receive exceptional service from a truly honest person, then this should be rewarded and other travellers should also have the benefit of sharing our experiences.

We would like to recommend a tuk tuk driver that we used for our last 3 days in Siem Reap. We actually had another driver for the first 2 days, whom we arranged over the internet, but he was just so, so. On our second day, at 2.00pm he said we had seen everything and he would take us back to the hotel. We said we thought we had him all day until sunset. But he said “Nothing else to see today, we go back now”. So that was a waste of our pass and an afternoon.

The driver we would ask you to consider is Seng Seila (but he is known as Seila pronounced Cilla). His English is good and he is always happy, punctual and cheerful. However we must say that his spoken English is better than his written English. His motorbike is new and his tuk tuk carries two people in comfort, but he can get a 4 person one if needed. He also has the use of a car, which we used for one long day trip, which I will detail below.

Now I know there are hundreds of drivers in Siem Reap all vying for your business and your hotel will most probably try and get you to use their driver. But this chap is one of the most honest and genuine people we have ever met on our travels. His rates are exceptional, if not a little too cheap. We never had to barter, as his rates were always very good. He doesn’t charge any extra for sunrise and he doesn’t charge any extra if you wish to return back to your hotel for breakfast or for a rest etc. The rates on his website are just advisory and he will discount if you use him for a few days. You don’t even have to ask for the discount.

As a guide to his prices I will tell you what he charged us.

For a sunrise at Angkor Wat, then a trip through the countryside, a guided tour around a local market and then onto Kompong Kleang (a non touristy floating village way out of town, where he came with us on the boat and acted as a guide), finally back to Angkor Wat temple complex for sunset and back to the hotel, he only charged $12!! We also used him the following day, to take us by car to Banteay Samre, the land mine museum, Banteay Srie, Khbal Spean and finally to Beng Mealea. The whole day was only $40. Now that’s about half the prices we were being quoted.

Nothing is too much trouble for him and he is always suggesting different things for you to see and do. In fact we had to explain that we didn’t want sunrise every day, as we had to sleep!

On our final day we simply asked him to take us and show us the real Cambodia. First he took us to the Artisans D’Ankgor (Ok, but a bit touristy for us) Then he took us to a small village where he used to live (where the old land mine museum used to be). It was so poor, but the children were fantastic and just wanted to play with us. From here he asked if we would like to meet his wife and children at his new house. We said that would be great. When we arrived, we spotted a brick built building, and thought that at least he had improved his housing from his old village. But he explained that this was his landlord’s house and his was next door. We were shocked. It wasn’t even a shed. It was planked walls with big gaps in them and just one room with a bare earth floor and a bed. Cooking was done on a wood fire.

He drove us again around the countryside pointing out strange foods etc and we ended up at Tonle Sap mountain for sunset (far better than anywhere in the temple complex). Again, only $8 for the whole day.

When he dropped us off, we were really sad and we gave him $10 extra for his family. He was taken aback and at first refused (most drivers would have snatched your arm off). We insisted and finally he humbly accepted it. We said our goodbyes and actually (and I don’t mind admitting this) we walked into our hotel crying. He was such a wonderful person and we felt privileged to have met him. He made our last 3 days in Siem Reap a really memorable experience.

Seila, was one of the very few drivers we met during our month long trip around Cambodia, who wasn’t just interested in getting as much from your wallet as he could. He was happy to be working and providing for his family and making sure that his guests were happy.

If you do use him, tell him you heard about him from the English couple who bought him a book, so his guests could write in it for him, saying how they enjoyed his trips.

His email address is sengseila_2006@yahoo.com and his website is www.blinkquick.com/tuktuk. His phone number is 092 270 927.

I hope the above information is of use to some people and that you get to enjoy Siem Reap as much as we did.

Chicago
Level Contributor
461 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Wonderful report and thank you for the recommendation.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

It's very nice of you to post this for him. From your accounts he really deserves this recommendation. In my review of a guest house in Siem Reap I also recommend the tuk-tuk driver we hired for 2 days but I guess I want Seila to be our driver next time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Dear Infoaddict,

I will be arriving in SIem Reap on Sun (14 Nov) and have not booked any guide nor driver. Your detailed info certainly helps.

I planned to get a guide for Ang Kor from our hotel. Do you think it's okay to engage Seila's service and a guide for Ang Kor thru the hotel?

I could not get into the website you posted ie. www.blinkquick.com/tuktuk. Maybe I will email him instead.

Thank you.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Your hotel will have its own set of guides and drivers so if you want to book Seila you should personally contact him. It's already 2 days from now and he might have a booking by then so you should contact him asap.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 17:39
Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Yes..it's a little too late now. Probably I'll just keep my option open. Since I will be there a good 1 week I'll just contact him locally.

Thanks for your advice.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Generally I find tuk-tuk drivers and guides in Cambodia to be kind and helpful. I'm sure your hotel will not recommend you a guide and driver which could tarnish their reputation.

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Hi infoaddict,

Many, many thanks for your post.

I emailed Seila last night to see if he was available for our trip to SR in December.

He replied to let me know that he is, I sent him a rough itinery of what we want to see and do. He has replied with additional suggestions of places to visit and his price.....there is no way on earth we can pay him what he has quoted.....he will be getting a nice tip anyway! We will be with him over Christmas so hopefully can treat his children to some presents.

We will be able to write in the book which you kindly bought him :)

BTW - was working in Bolton yesterday!

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to reply back to you all. But we are now in the north of the Philippines trekking through the rice terraces, so don't have email very often.

It's great that some of you will use Seila's services and I hope you have just as good a time with him as we did.

We have received an email from him, thanking us for getting him some business. This just goes to show that he is really appreciative. He didn't have to thank us.

He can provide a guide to the temples if you wish, but I can't say what they will be like, as we hired our guide through our first tuk tuk driver. But all guides have to be registered and should therefore provide the same level of service.

If you do use Seila and find him just as good as we did. Perhaps you could also post a new recommendation on tripadvisor, as this post will eventually sink into obscurity.

It would be nice that other members could benefit from his tours and also it will help him out.

If you wish to take presents for his children, he has three girls and I think the eldest is about 7 years old.

Oh, and regading Bolton, we really live in Westhoughton, so almost Wigan!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

@ orkid

Site is working fine. Just try this http://www.blinkquick.com/tuktuk/

The original post has a '.' after tuktuk which is incorrect

wigan
Level Contributor
144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Superb, Honest and Reliable Driver - Fully Recommended

Hi infoaddict,

I have received a number of emails from Seila answering my many questions. We will be catching the bus from PP on 22 Dec and he will meet us at the bus station in SR with a sign for us to identify him, we will be using him everyday using tuk tuk most days and a car for the temples which are further away. We leave on 27 Dec and he will be driving us to the border at Poipet.

We are really looking forward to meeting Seila and I do think it is important that you do find the 'right' driver as they can make a big difference to your holiday.

Many thanks and I will post my report in Jan :)