We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

No one recently appears to have taken a helicopter trip over the temples in Siem Reap. If yes, where did you book from and approx. how much was it please?

The balloon rides are now cancelled are they? and why?

Thank you for any advice. Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

the balloon ride is a 20 minute teathered balloon and does not go close to the temples..price should be about $18. was not aware that it may have closed..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Please check these out:

Helicopters Cambodia:

Greg Ellis

Senior Pilot / Engineer

# 658 St Hup Quan, Mondol 1

Siem Reap

Kingdom of Cambodia

Fax & Phone : (855) 063 963 316

Reservations : (855) 012 814 500

helicopter.cam.s@online.com.kh

The Tethered balloon:

Currently not operating. Unspecified technical problems.

Ultralight/Microlight Flights:

Just go to Jayavarman airfield or check out my previous postings under the heading - Aerial Reconnaissance and Joy Flights. Just use the TA search function, above.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 28 January 2011, 09:19
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

The tethered balloon flight, when operating, ascends to 200 metres/600 feet only and is of maximum duration of 10/12 minutes.

Although interesting there are better alternatives for aerial observation.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Thanks, will be interesting to see if any one has been recently. C

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Thanks Ian for both your posts. How quick was that. Will write down all these details immediately. Even after working my way through Lonely Planet guide (albeit slowly) I can't really get a sense of how big the area of the main temples is.

After flying over Kakadu, it made me appreciate the air view so wondered about the value of flying over the area. Fabulous info.

Cathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Hello keentogoSydney,

As I keep posting, but without obvious result or response, Angkor is a Region and not a place.

The Angkor region, including Greater Angkor, encompasses probably 700 square kilometres. Most tourists see but a tiny fraction of what is there to be enjoyed. And, when viewed from the ground, much of it does not fall easily in to place or context or even make sense.

If you can, please take an ultralight flight very early in your time at Angkor and you will get so much more out of your visit.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

I,m a bit busy right now but follow up on this earlier posting for more detailed information:

5. Re: Aerial Observation & Joy Flights

Aug 09, 2010, 10:56 PM

Hello all,

To reduce my work load answering PM's on this obviously popular topic, could I please request that those interested in this topic please refer to:

www.skyventure.org

and/or contact David directly at:

david@skyventure.org

to obtain pricing etc information.

I am NOT part of this operation.

All best regards to all. Ian

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Thanks Ian again. Yes, I have only quickly read the highlights esp where our 3 day temple tours will take us. (We have 5 days there probably at moment so won't finalise booking until we work out all we can see/do)..

I will certainly look into that a lot more now. It is good place to start and we have until July so plenty more readings etc. Actually I should Google Earth it too and get a much better idea too.

Sounds like you have been a few times. Certainly may have to get back to you for more ideas. Trying to find out too about whether it is better to get a sampan boat from Ho Chi Minh city to PP or doesn't it matter (ie smooth waters). No replies yet. We also go to Battambang for two nights. Thanks, C

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

I can highly recommend the ultralight flight. We did this in September and it was a highlight of our stay in Siem Reap.

2 of us did the 30 min flight and my husband did the 45 min which took him out to Tonle Sap as well. Wish I had done that too.

You get a much better idea of the area from the air and so much interesting info from the pilot.

Make sure you have a long strap on your camera as it must be tied around your wrist. It's hard to take photos if it's short....as mine was!

Just do it, you wont regret it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter trip over Siem Reap - or balloon

Dear Applecake (just love that name). Ultralite? sounds a little scary esp when we weight 120 kg and 150 kg respectively. (He's the bigger). Don't know that we would make the weight requirements there.

However, I shall start a further search and see what they look like. I am picturing a sort of hang-glider thing. I am glad you were brave enough to do iit and loved every minute of it. Saw the quad bikes and I love riding them, but an ultralite. Will find out now. Thank you. Cathy