We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

floating villages

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
floating villages

I have read nothing but dissapointed reports about visits to floating villages etc to see this different way of life.I spending time in PP and SR and would very much like to visit a busy floating village Can anyone give me some

advice on where to go and the best times?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: floating villages

hi Jooleye,the floating village ,closest to siem reap is called chong khneas,it gets a few bad reports as a lot of tourist go out there to visit,also if you go out there the check point guys try to overcharge you or the boat operators try the buy overprized books for school children scam.having lived on the lake for years i get to see it all.the best way to advoid this is go with the tara riverboat,they run tours everyday to this village and others,for a busy floating village chong khneas is the one,its close to siem reap,some 6000 people live there and is a true floating village,schools,shops,churches,police,bars,homes everything floats,the lake is a unique place to visit and interesting as you see a different world out there,for a more relaxed villages try kompong phluk,its not a floating village however but stilted homes and has a nice flooded forrest,prek toal is another further out village or kompong khleang..however for a true floating village than chong khneas is by far the place to visit within the siem reap local area.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: floating villages

thanks paul I will check them out

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: floating villages

we went to both chong kneas and kompong khleang. chong kneas is definitely more touristed but still worth going if you only have a short time. try to go for sunset. really beautiful.

we went to KK mainly because of the water level. we were there in jan. 09 and were told the river levels were too low at kompong phluk. we were the only tourists at kk (stilted houses) and thought it was really interesting how people live and adjust to the water levels. for example, weddings are a 3 day affair and don't take place during the rainy season, since grounds would be flooded.

the drive out was fun too. we visited a local food market on the way out and then on the way back, tried the bamboo sticky rice along what i called bamboo sticky rice lane. delish!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: floating villages

Thank you I am so looking forward to our trip and fortunately we will have plenty of time so I hope to check out all the places you mentioned.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1,090 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: floating villages

Not sure which village we visited but I had a great time on the tour mentioned on this page:

http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/tours.php#

It was a few years ago, so things may have changed, but they might be worth a look.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: floating villages

Hi,

We visited Kompong Khleang after the Rolous Group and were the only tourists there. I have written about our trip in great detail, so if you care to have a read, here is the link together with a link to some photos, to give you some idea of what to expect. Be warned it is long and detailed!!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k420…

Hampshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: floating villages

Thank you so much for that link... a great piece of wrting really exciting so least because Seila is driving us too!!!

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: floating villages

Hi jooleye,

I'm glad that report was of interest to you and doubly pleased that you've managed to bag Seila. I'm sure you'll have a great time with him.

If you want you can take a look at the other trip reports I've done on Siem Reap - if you are interested.

Report 2a - Siem Reap - Small Circuit

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k418…

Report 2b - Siem Reap – Grand Circuit

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k4…

Report 2d - Siem Reap – Banteay Srei, Khbal Spean and Beng Mealea

Report 2e -Siem Reap – Countryside + Chong Kneas + Phnom Krom

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: floating villages

The floating villages of Komplonk Phluck were highlight of my trip definitely worth the visit there.

Diva

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

Edited: 09 July 2011, 18:53
Melbourne, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: floating villages

prek toal is very interesting as is kompong phluk,we did both the floating village and flooded forrest and had a great time,you dont have to just do one,we did ours through the tara riverboat crew and was a highlight to our siem reap trip