We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Hi everyone,

Just trying to book all my Asia internal flights but have been amazed to find that I am looking at $1600 for two adults, one child and one infant!

That is through Bangkok air...leaving from Bangkok.

We can fly out from Phuket to KL then KL to Siem reap but is still pretty expensive. Can anyone recommend a different way to do this?

It is only $200 to fly all of us to Phnom Penh. Is it worth it, do you think maybe we should just do one night in Phnom Pen, get a driver and in the morning a stop to the killing fields then drive to Siem Reap, we stay there for 3 nights.

I have no clue why it is so dear but any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Also, we are looking to fly on to Vietnam after and so far have been quoted $900 to Ho Chi Min City... Oh my. We can get it a little bit cheaper.. but have to do stopover in KL.

Please help. Oh my... never thought these flights would be so dear.. but the desire to see Angkor wat was just too strong...

Thanks. :)

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Hi,

Welcome to the monopoly world of indo-china. Those are the flight prices on those routes so unless you use air Asia to pnh and bus or taxi up to siem reap or take the overland route from Bangkok, which for 4 of you would be a real saving, you're stuck. Also thing about taking the bus down to hcmc.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Any where you have a monopoly or duopoly you do not get competitive pricings/fares. It's the old old story. You either trade time for cash or cash for time.

But as already stated, and if you do have time, you do have options and the overland option is well suited to you as a family group.

Just use the TA "Search In" function and you will be burried in information about travelling from Bangkok to The Thai/Cambodian border at Aranyaprathet/Poi Pet and then onwards to Siem Reap.

From Siem Reap to Phnom Penh you have multiple choices, some decidedly better than others though, for land transport. Again, just read search/read recent postings.

And the same for getting overland from Phnom Penh to Saigon/HCMC.

Just remember that it is essential to have your Visa to enter Vietnam all squared away before travelling there as you will not be allowed on to any form of transport without a visa of one sort or another and you certainly will not be allowed in to VN.

All of these options take a bit of time but will save you huge amounts of money on each sector. You will also see and experience far more of the countries you are travelling in.

All best regards. Ian

Edited: 27 August 2011, 22:47
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Getting a good flight deal is all about booking flights at the right time, often months in advance. However, some airlines do fantastic last minute offers too. I think most people on a budget use Bangkok as a hub, and use trains and buses to connect to siem reap. If looking to fly, then air asia has been known to do some real cheap flights to pp, where you can bus it to siem reap.

-There are still bargains to be had, but you need to be flexible, and open to offers. I guess travelling with 2 kids rules out bus travel, so leaves you no other option then to fly,etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

First of all.

Thank you all for your thought out replies. :) I always forget how helpful you TA bunch are!

You have all given me so much to think about.

I think we had not anticipated nor thought about the monopoly....

Didn't Asia teach me to never assume....

Usually I do heaps of research before booking accommodation but this time I felt short.

Must say though I do not regret it. Just going to have to think a bit outside the lines...

Hubby is a bit worried about crossing borders.. I have seen it is safe but maybe paying a bit more with the two kids in tow.. Is what we need to do.

I am at this point, however opting for the flights to Phnom Penh then using Sam quite possibly to Siem reap. Maybe spending the night in Phnom Penh then seeing the killing fields in the morning.. Please if someone would not advise this please let me know. :)

Thanks again. Cannot say this will be the last time you see me. I am starting to get excited... Only 81 more days... Not that I am counting.. until our 7 week adventure begins. :)

Now onto a few hours of post reading. Thanks again everyone. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Hello Thailandtams,

Just a word of caution. It's always best to get a couple of quotes so instead of just accepting Sam at face value, and from a first time poster I note, which is always cause for concern, I would very strongly recommend that you request your hotel/guesthouse to also quote to you to be met, by name, at Poi Pet and conveyed to your hotel/guesthouse. Hotels/guesthouses are used to this and know a number of very reliable drivers and better quality/safer vehicles

All best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Thank you Ian.

I ment the Sam that was suggested on here. My guesthouse is in Siem Reap or did you mean with the guesthouse we would get in Phnom Penh?

I found Sam through Cathy and Gary's travel pages.... He seemed to be the best so far...

Or am I reading that wrong.. I am enjoying a glass of Sav blanc whilst reading. :)

:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Believe it or not, but we flew Singapore Airlines in Aug 2011 because they were actually the cheapest (we compared Air Asia, Thai, Vietnam Airlines & Jetstar etc) From memory, I',m pretty sure that it cost us around $1200 per person (2 Adults & 2 children)

Melb - Singapore (can stopover if you want) - PP

I'm wondering if you're flying during school holidays as this may be affecting the price of the airfare - $1600 is quite dear!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

Hi Thailandtams,

For future reference, if you can be organised enough to book your flights 12 months ahead, you will never beat AirAsia. I notice you live in Brisbane, as do I, so you can fly out of the Gold Coast. We are going on another trip in October. The route is Gold Coast -Kuala Lumpur-Siem Reap. Then by bus and boat to Ho Chi Minh via Phnom Penh. Then flights Ho Chi Minh -

Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur - Gold Coast. Cost of all 5 flights was $326 per person. I still have to add meals, baggage and seat selection which will be about $150. I only select seats and meals on long haul flights.

Hope this helps in your future planning,

Cheers, Lynne

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

You may be drinking Cab Sav but I am drinking sparkling Pinot Noir!

It is Sunday evening after all in Sydney!

I meant the Hotel/Guesthouse in Siem Reap, your destination after Poi Pet.

Cheers. Hick! Hope this clarifies things?

Best regards. ian

Edited: 28 August 2011, 11:00
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Siem Reap.. Once you are in Asia.. Why so dear?

If your aim is to get from Phuket to Siem Reap fly Air Asia to KL and then Air Asia again on to Siem Reap. From SR get a bus to Phnom Penh (about $12 and 5-6 hours). You can then either fly to HCMC or get another bus (again about $12 and 5-6 hours).

When you consider the time spent getting to the airport, being there at least an hour before your flight, the time of the flight, collecting your luggage, going through customs and getting into the city this generally takes about four hours so the bus isn't that much longer. Add to that the cost difference and the fact that you get to see the countryside rather than an airport terminal and it isn't a bad way to travel.