We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Greater London...
Level Contributor
152 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Hello All!

I will be visiting Siem Reap in early October for only 2-3 days. Since I have such a short time to be in Siem Reap I was hoping to hire the services of a guide to help me make the best out of my short visit.

Can anyone give any recommendations on a good and reasonably priced guide to show me Angkor Complex and some of the outer lying temples? Do guides provide transportation (ie car) or would I need to hire a mode of transportation separately?

Thanks everyone.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Hi,

You need to hire a driver with car and then a guide. But any hotel can organise this for you either when you make a booking or when you arrive, there is no shortage of drivers or English speaking guides and hotels have a list of the reliable ones. Driver/car is $25 per day for the closer temples and guides start at $25 per day. You will need to pay a small supliment for very early (sunrise) starts or outlying temples

Cheers

2. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2011, 11:30
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Easiest to organise both guide and driver through your hotel - they have a pool of drivers/guides they use regularly. This way you're getting someone who is tried and tested by many guests at a given hotel rather than just one poster who has little to compare one guide with.

Angkor is breath-taking, the vast majority of guides are polite, friendly etc and provide cold water - all things they learn at guide 'school'

cheers

helen

4. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

There will be loads of tuk tuk drivers outside your hotel, they all know English speaking guides so it won't be a problem. the guides all have to have a licence or they're not allowed into the temples.

6. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Agree with the others who suggest waiting until you arrive to book a guide. We had a disappointing experience with a recommended guide we had made arrangements with ahead of time, but had outstanding experiences with those arranged while there. I think it made a huge difference to meet someone in person and discuss what was wanted versus making arrangements via e-mail.

8. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Greater London...
Level Contributor
152 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

Lynn011 did you have to meet the guide several days ahead of time to discuss your interest/itinerary? I only have 1.5-2 days to spend in Siem Reap, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to book a guide the same day to take you around. How did you find your guides when you got to Siem Reap were they recommended by your hotel/guesthouse.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recomendations for Guides for Siem Reap

MCagz - recommendations through our guesthouse worked out quite well, 1.5-2 days really isn't much time, perhaps you can think of it as an appetizer for a return visit:) You shouldn't have too much difficulty arranging when you arrive - could also let the guesthouse know in advance that you will want a guide. We did a lot of reading before going over, so had a good idea ahead of time of what we wanted to see. If you haven't already done so, take a look at Canby Publications and travelfish.org for ideas. A lot really depends on you and how you want to spend you time. We spent a month in Cambodia in Jan/Feb - with six full days in Siem Reap and felt it wasn't nearly enough time. Going back in October for just over three weeks with two of them in Siem Reap - knowing what I know now I suspect it still will not be enough time:) Photos, if you are interested, from our first trip at www.lynnriderphotography.com Hope this all helps!

Edited: 02 September 2011, 17:05