We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant close to our hotel...

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant close to our hotel...

We are staying at the Tara Angkor Hotel (Vithei Charles de Gaulle (Road to Angkor Wat)) . On the evening we arrive, we will only have a few hours left of that night. Does anyone recommend any nice restaurants close by? I know the hotel has a restaurant but we want to explore a bit

:-)

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

better to head into pub street area ,there are lots of nice restaurants there,its only a 5 min ride on a tuk tuk,there are a few larger restaurants along that road but they are set up for the larger tour groups and the large signs looks impressive but it stops there,the few i have wondered into where expensive,crap food,and uninterested staff.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,636 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

I very much second what Paul has just posted.

There are virtually no small/smaller bistro/bar type restaurants in the immediate area of your hotel. As Paul correctly says, these are all large establishments catering for the bus/coach tour group trade. In fact, your hotel, although a good hotel, is not conveniently located for so many things that people usually just walk to when in Siem Reap.

There simly is no advantage or benefit in being in a hotel on the road to the temples. Just the opposite in many cases.

All best regards. Ian

Camp Ha Noi

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

Grab a tuk tuk into town and let your nose to the walking - plenty of choices in/around Pub St. It would take a month or more eating at a different place each night to come close to eating at all the places SR has to offer. The further you get from Pub St the more authentic the food - Pub St (while I love it) serves food for western palates (and pockets).

happy eating

helen

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

As the others have said get a tuk tuk to the Pub street area where all the bars and restaurants are located.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advise given in this discussion regarding the restaurants in and around Pub Street so i think one should use thee old Snout, seek and thee shall find!!!

Manicus.

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

thanks all for your comments, i think we shall take a tuk tuk to pub street and have a look around a see what we find :-) we could just spend the evening in the hotel restaurant but we wouldnt be exploring then

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

Look just outside Pub street and you will find the best eats. Pub street is definately tourist orientated but we found some of the food on the perimeter far better.

8. Re: Restaurant close to our hotel...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:19