We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

Going in late November and was just wondering if Angkor is floodlit at all ?. I know/think there used to be some sort of night time/evening show there...is that still on ?

thanks

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

Thank god NO!

Last attempt at night lighting did a large amount of damage to the fabric of the place.

Regards. Ian

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

Thanks for that. It's very hard to floodlight these wonderful sites in a way that doesn't damage them.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

What's it look like actually with a full moon on a very clear night. Anyone ever see?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,631 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

I imagine it would be very very cool. Add that to the bucket list!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

My thoughts exactly. I am surprised that I never thought of checking it out. I hope we won't be on bucket alert before we are once again in SR :)

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

I've had a local dinner several times sitting on the edge of the barray surrounding Angkor Wat, sitting on woven matting, for just this very purpose.

It's far more mystical in the natural, changing, moonlight that it ever was when flood lit.

Evenings such as just described are very popular with the local Khmers and all tourists have long gone home or to Pub Street the poor folk!

Best regards. Ian

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

Wow Ian,

Brilliant! I can't get over the fact that I never thought of it. Always something new to discover in the Magic Kingdom. Can't wait till next trip. Might just plan it out of the rainy season and at full moon time just to do this.

8. Re: Is Angkor Wat lit at night ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:15