We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Given more alms to the all the needy who asked.

Tipped even more than I did.

It was really tough saying no to those who had missing limbs,mothers with little kids,young kids selling things etc,etc.

The reality is, is many of us would like to do more,but financially speaking, we just can't pull it off.

Sadly we are leaving Cambodia today,but I will always remember the friendly smiles and the humble spirits of some truly beautiful people.

God bless Cambodia!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments. A truly wonderful country with gracious, friendly people.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

But this misses the point.

Help/assistance is not all about money as so many seem to think.

Help/assistance takes many forms.

Help, over the past couple of months, has come Khmers I know in the following ways by people using their skills and knowledge to:

Develop a Website.

Make a UTube or two

Help a Tuk Tuk driver prepare his business name card in good mother tongue english.

Write an interesting and positive posting to TA Cambodia Forum about an individual or individuals.

Assist a local potter to develop new skills in tile making.

And I am sure that there are plenty of other non-monetary examples of help/assistance that others on this forum know about.

Never forget that Donations-in-Kind include knowledge and skills transfers too.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 21 January 2012, 10:49
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

I pay the 'english' school fees for my drivers daughter. My own daughters have finished school now but I have an 'adopted' daughter to educate now. As a teacher I am only too aware of the value of education and this small contribution will give this wee lass more oportunities than her mother had. I know this is a long term expendiure (she's only 10) but I will get more enjoyment out of seeing her grow than I will miss from the cup of coffee a week I forego.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Ian...

It doesn't miss the point concerning MY own personal feelings/sentiments. At the time I wrote the post.I had just encountered several physically impaired,fatherless kids, and others who were probably starving for something to eat and would rather have a meal than an English lesson or some kind of a skills training at the point and time of our encounter.

Having said that....

I do however agree that there are many,many other non monetary things people can do as already wisely aforementioned in your post.

In closing....

In either case,both you and I have a HEART for the people and a willingness to reach out and help. Mine being a quick fix meal for a hungry stomach and yours being a more permanent solution. Same Same, but different as they might say in Cambodia.

I'm really glad you and others are reaching out to help.

Cheers!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.

I say support someone, offer to assist them, instead of simply throwing money at them.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 13:05
6. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 09:35
siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

being rich in heart is far better than being rich in money.

i would rather stave in my mothers arms than die rich and alone.

the point is that althrough many people are only focused on the next meal, to move ahead we need to be smarter,more productive and have a mind set of long term goals/gains.

i feel priveleged however in knowing that at least the people of this forum are talking about the best ways of helping.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

post 5

I've heard the very good fish teaching before and I believe in it strongly.

On the other hand....

Sorry if this sounds blunt,but how is the guy that I saw today begging with no hands supposed to fish.

There are other great teachings out there like " take care of the sick and feed the hungry"

Cheers!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Still, I am very much against handing out money to people at random, especially people begging, as all that does is encourage people to beg. How do you know this guy didn't have a job and was just begging because he knows a tourist will shell out a few dollars? Do you do this in your own country?

I support a handful of people myself in Cambodia and in Laos as well, but it is for educational purposes. I looked into the situation very carefully before I committed, and also thought out the consequences as I am investing a lot of time and money into this endeavor.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If I were rich in Cambodia, I would have....

Poster Number 6 - Business people such as yourself using a blatant business logo and name and using this forum for self-promotion, at least by use of your commerical logo, against the rules, neither need nor deserve any help or assistance from members of this or any other forum - in my own opinion.

If you are one of the very privileged few in Cambodia that owns or has ready access to a computer and the use of or subscribe to an on-line connection and the luxury of time to post frequently on this forum promoting your logo and business activities you are already in the privileged tiny minority of Khmers/Cambodians.

Business people are already the stronger members of Cambodian society and certainly so those in the tourist or related industries.

This thread, as I read it, is about helping the majority of Cambodians to help themselves in an ongoing, meaningful, dignified and self-sustaining way.

Hand outs do bu%#er all. Far better to support those few organisations that look after those not in a position to support or sustain themselves than just dishing out cash.

Within Khmer society the local temples, quite unseen or understod by most tourists, are often performing much of the work in providing shelter, care and basic meals which, in an afluent developed country, is undertaken by the State through various social security measures and payments etc - none of which are as yet present in Cambodia..

So many first time or infrequent visitors to the tourist areas fail to distinguish the professional begars from the real deal. The Khmers themselves immediately know who to give a small KHR note to and who to avoid. Tourists generally do not.

Regards. Ian

Edited: 21 January 2012, 23:10