We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor Blackmail

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
486 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor Blackmail

To the small number of travellers who make threat's to Hotel owners and the like to give them freebies for minor issues you are a thief. Cambodia is a developing country and do at times have issues with water, electricity and the internet etc.

I have come across cases recently where 'guests' have blackmailed owners of reputable businesses into giving them several days free accomodation with the threat of bad reviews.

These people are not rich and are trying to make a small profit and keep their staff in jobs.

You are selfish ..........,

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

Beyond selfish Thrifty - outrageous. Unfortunately, in some countries the idea "the customer is king" is prevalent, and complaints often lead to upgrades and freebies - whether the complaints are justifiable or not. Sad to hear about travelers who bully to get what they want.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

Then don't give in to blackmail. You can spot obviously false good or negative reviews a mile off. I agree it's terrible but only the owners of the establishments have the power to say no.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

If a negative review is posted the hotel owners can reply and give their version, then it's up to the people to judge.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

That is outrageous! How can some people sleep at night!!

I would completely agree with Chrella the hotel owners should reply explaining that the 'guest' threatened to write the bad review unless they got a 'freebie' the public are not stupid.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

For every review, Good, Bad or Indifferent there is always the right of reply/response.

Malicous reviews, well and factually responded to, only make the original poster look an absolute fool in the eyes of the wider readership of this forum.

Ergo, meet falsehods with well cogent, concise, reasoned, factual, responses.

It will be the OP that loses credibility when several others who have also experienced a particular hotel, guesthouse or service provider post to the contrary.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
486 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

If it was my business I would ask these sorts of people to leave immediately, but the owners feel it is not worth the hassle and easier to pay. It is not just Cambodia, it is the world over. I suppose I feel strongly about this becuase like most regular posters we love the place and the people.

www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm…

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,959 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

good advice in that article Thrifty about ignoring posts by one time posters - particularly if it's a poor one, - this applies to all sorts of things on TA - not just hotel reviews - the same goes for those glowing "he's the worlds best driver/guide" ones as well.

cheers

helen

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

If I was a hotel owner - and I have heard this happening from a so called "travel writer" on a visit to Cambodia who demanded free tours and when they did not get it wrote a less than flattering review for a place that gets fantastic reviews in Kampot - I would state the fact that they made a blackmail request when making a response to a negative review and I would throw them out as soon as the threat is made. I would also report them to Trip Adviser. I don't know how some people lie straight in bed at night.

As others have said - if there are lots if great reviews others will see through it.

On the same note though I have written a negative review and backed it up with photos - only to get the owner write bold face lies in response to my criticism. So again readers should look for a pattern in this.

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 29 January 2012, 09:04
Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

Angkorlad - I'm sure that you will agree with me that some of the best "PR" is from those owners who take the trouble to reply to a "Good" review?

10. Re: Tripadvisor Blackmail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:29