We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

I do not like PG's monopoly on the BKK-REP route and refuse to pay the near £300 return flight back into BKK.

I am thinking of doing BKK - PNH on AirAsia and then get a bus/taxi to Siem Reap. I don't think I want to stay in Phomn Penh though, so I will be going straight to Siem Reap when I touch down.

Does this sound like a realistic itinery?

I read somewhere that it takes 5hrs by AC bus from one city to the next, and the route is safe and one of the better roads in Cambodia.

FWIW, I will be flying AK (or MH) REP-KUL on the way out.

london
Level Contributor
417 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

another way of travelling between pp and sr is by boat, you would probably have to spend one night in pp to do this though

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

As an alternative to flying would you consider doing the trip by bus? We did it 2 years ago and will do it again this summer. The bus is 4 hrs from BKK to the border and the border crossing was easy. Our bus from BKK went all the wY to the border, thus avoiding any scams. We then got a car to Battambang which was a couple of hrs away but lots of people were on the popular route to SR. All this can be done in a day with an early start from BKK. We really enjoyed it.

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

By the way the bus from PP to SR is a pleasant trip on good roads if that is your preference.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

Fly into PP and stay a few days (2-3) - it really is a lovely little city that way too many tourists dismiss completely or wizz through only staying one night. Plenty to see & do.

helen

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

Hi

We will be arriving at 5:35 from HK to PPenh On Jan 25, 2013.

We would like to go directly to Siem Reap that night. Anyone know of how/where to rent car from if not staying overnight in hotel? We have limited time and want to spend 4 full days in Siem Reap. Thanks.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
524 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

LassieLou could you please tell me where you got the bus from in Bangkok?

Thanks

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
493 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

Or why not go overland from BKK to Siem Reap, bus to PP if you want to have a look and then fly back to BKK from PP?

Below link gives times and costs.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297390-i9163-k583…

Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

Problem is we've already booked flight from HKong to Phonm Penh, and can't unbook . So i'ts either get car when we arrive at 5:35 as no bus is available at that time, or stay overnt in PP and then go on morning bus to Siem reap, cutting into our stay in SIem Reap by half day.

Has anyone had experience of getting a car from PPenh airport to go to Siem Reap at 6 pm at night??

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

I would avoid night travel if possible. The problem is not security but the road is good, speeds are high, driving skills are not very high plus obstacles in the road like animals, unlit bike etc.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,585 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angkor from Bangkok - better to fly into Phonm Penh?

I would also avoid night travel whether on a bus, taxi or even on a BMW. For your peace of mind, travel the next morning.