We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap in late September

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap in late September

Any tips on surviving the 'wet' in Siem Reap would be much appreciated.

We are going in the school holidays in September.

(I'm originally from outback South Australia, so have no desire for dust.) But, the lush green is going to come at a cost, if the floods photos are any indication of how wet, the wet season can be.

How do tuk tuks cope on muddy, non paved roads? Are outlying temple roads in worse condition than the more visited ones? What about the road to the lake? Does it pour, predictably in the pm as I have read, rather than drizzle all day? Moss/ rain/ steep steps presumably make for challenging climbing of temple steps? (I bought the rubber soled, velcro strapped sandals as suggested here).

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,741 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Hi ozzie

It's absolutely impossible to predict what the weather will be like in September. As you know in 2011 the rain came down and kept on coming down, causing havoc throughout many parts of south east asia, including Cambodia. When it rains it does so seriously. No drizzle all day, just sheeting downpours which can last for an hour or much longer, depending on the mood of the rain gods.

In 2011 we were in SR late October/early November. There were a couple of serious downpours while we were there but they only lasted a very short time so didn't interfere with our exploration of the wonderful sites in the area. I don't know what will happen until much closer to the time you'll be there, so I'm afraid you'll just have to play it by ear.

Have a wonderful time. It's an awesome place.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Our first trip to SR was in Sept 08. We were only there 3 nights and visited the main temples close to SR. We had short, sharp showers on 2 of those nights (but didn't need the ponchos we took) but by day it was glorious. The temples were dry and exploring was easy. Sept is towards the end of the wet season, and yes, flooding happens but certainly not every year and with luck, this year SR will escape - I tend to think flooding is an aboration rather than the norm (Ian will correct me if I'm wrong).

The road to the lake is in worse condition than the roads to the temples - we were there in july last year and it poured but traffic still got through. Our 'sunset cruise' on the Tara boat adventure …blogspot.com.au/2011/07/day-12-suwan-and-ta…

Tuk tuks are one tough little vehicle - they seem to be able to get through just about anything.

have a wonderful trip

helen

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Hi Ozzie - we were in Cambodia for three weeks this past October. From what we were told the amount of flooding was unusual, but do expect rain. Yes, we had to push the tuk tuk out of a mudhole on more than one occasion (out around the temples), and some of the areas around Pub Street had sandbags to cross over, but these were minor issues (for the tourists - not for the residents). The rain really didn't keep us from doing anything we had planned on, only wore the plastic poncho once. I carry a small travel size umbrella and kept it handy, but really didn't need it much either as most of the rain fell in the evening or overnight. The couple of downpours that occurred during the afternoon seemed to end quickly, followed by blue sky and big puffy clouds. Having been there in both the dry (January/February) dusty season and now the wet season, I'll take the wet.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,508 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Nobody can tell just how wet it'll be but it is the rainy season and last year was pretty awful, if I remember correctly badgerlad was stuck in his hotel bar for a couple of days, he wasn't complaining though :-))

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Hi

"he wasn't complaining though :-))"

I think he will be after your post... lol

As the others have said, it can be great weather then but you should expect a bit of rain mixed in with the sunshine. As Helen mentioned even in relatively dry years the road to the lake is often wet in places especially as it leaves the town along the river but tuk tuks still get through. Last year was bad and so was the year before but hopefully it's not a pattern. I was there for a week in September in 2008 and the weather was glorious and given the choice I much prefer that time of the year to the Dec-March period

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Great, thanks all.... I imagine the temples and the rural landscape will look just amazing in the wet season and coping with the mud will add another dramatic element to the trip (!), I was worried I might not be able to get around if roads unpassable but no doubt, the locals have dealt with this year in year out and still get tourists around.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Last year was an anomaly and let's hope that doesn't happen agian this year...

As others have said, September is lovely and it is not a constant rain. If you will be on the main tourist route, you won't have to worry as all of the roads are paved now. If you are heading up to some of the more remote areas, the dirt roads may be flooded (I had to once wade across a village!) or totally impassible by automobile.

Bring waterproof/watersafe hiking sandals and a folding umbrella you can carry wiht you. If you feel you need a rain poncho, those can be purchased at the local market for a dollar or so...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siem Reap in late September

ozzie, we were there last September during the floods, we met many people who had changed their plans and ditched Siem Reap, we decided to go and see for ourselves.

Whilst we had to wade about the middle of the town, Pub Street and the Old Market area the weather did 'nt really stop us from doing too much. We were their to see a few temples and the Lake and we achieved that with no major drama's. We had one day of pelting rain and thatw as the day we were out on the Lake, it was actually quite nice!

What we found best to help us with the weather was a brolly, you get too hot with a poncho although we did have them as well. CROC's, l know they are not a fashion choice but they were invaluable, as our feet were protected when wading about and we did'nt have to worry about them being wet! I even wore socks and crocs as did'nt want to have any broken skin while wading and we washed out feet and legs everytime we got back to the Guest House.

Knowing when Happy hour starts and the closest is always a good way to wait out a storm!

I have been in Cambodia is a few seasons now and it is by far my most avourite!!! So green its almost hard to comprehend.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 02:13
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Thanks everybody....

I can already see the eye rolling teen pretending I'm so not his mother wearing crocs and socks!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,959 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siem Reap in late September

Just say "I told you so" as you administer the VERY stingy antiseptic to his cut feet! And then dab on a bit more for good measure!