We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

london
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

WE are a family of 5, 3 children ages 5,9,10. I have the name of a good guide but I wonder if it might be information overload for the children and we are better off exploring on our own. Any thoughts? What are some of the must see adventures for the children. Anyone do an Osmose kayak tour with the children on the Tonle Sap?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

some people (like me) prefer to wander and absorb - if this is you go with just the tuk tuk/car, if you prefer lots of detail and structure go with the guide - though I think that if I was taking a 5 yr old I'd prefer to go sans guide. Beng Melea is a great temple for the kids, lots of Indiana Jones type exploring possible.

in the top questions (upper right) - last dot point - is a good thread, though the little chap in this was in a wheelchair there is still plenty there which will help.

if you use the search box (directly above your post) and search for something like 'travel with children' (or any other phrase similar to what you'd use for a google search) you'll get lots more info - there have been a number of families who have travelled with similar aged kids.

do get a hotel with a pool - nothing spoils your holiday than hot tired cranky kids so it's good to be able to come back for a swim and something to eat which should return them to nice children quickly!

when are you going and for how long? and anywhere else in Cambodia? this will help people tailor their info for you.

cheers

helen

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

You may like to consider add -ons like elephant rides at Angkor , taking the kids to the theme park in town as the guide would be an overload.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

I myself am like Thmoore the wander on my own and absorb type but while thinking of your question and the kids I did start to think that perhaps a good "child friendly" guide might slightly tailor his or her spiel given the youngsters in the audience. In fact, such a guide might be able to make it even more interesting for the kids if some things, like the stories on the bas reliefs in Angkor Wat, were told in a child friendly way. Just a thought. I do know the name of a very good guide who spends a great deal of time with kids if u r interested.

usa
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

On our first visit we had a guide for the first day but found he was more interested in complaining about his lack of breakfast and getting back into siem reap early as it was too hot? than doing his job.so we dropped the guide and had a great time exploring at our own pace after that .there is plenty to do for families in siem reap and its certainly a child friendly place,we choise a hotel with a pool and did adventures to Kompong phluk and rowing through the flooded forest,with the tara boat,horse riding with the happy ranch,kids plaza is near the river ,baloon is fun,if time permits a day up at mount kulun was also worth the trip.your hotel receptionist or the tour desk will sort out a driver and tours for you.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

If you are at Siem Reap to visit Angkor Park, pls hire driver with a van and English speaking tour guide because there are many things to explain you like Angkor history, Khmer culture and so on. No worry of to much information as they are flexible to serve you. Cambodians are friendly and helpful.

Osmose kayak tour you should think of safety first. thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

All the tuk tuk drivers know English speaking guides so I would wait until you get there and decide, it also means you can talk to the guide before you hire him, I would get a guide for Angkor Wat but the rest I wouldn't bother.

7. Re: Worth it to get a guide for a family or just a driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:15