We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-visa

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
E-visa

We are planning to go to Siem Reap from BKK for 3-4 days by bus. It will not be an organized trip and we read all those articles about the scam visas and the long lines at the border station.

Can it all be skipped by getting an e-visa beforehand?

What is the process if with or without e-visa?

It is probably a very stupid question, but it's not clear that if I had an e-visa do I have to attach it to my passport (like glue it in?) or should we just give it to the officer separately.

Any other hints for making the border crossing smooth?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: E-visa

Get an E Visa if going through Poipet, which is the main crossing from Thailand. This is what I recommend to friends.

If arriving by bus I guess you will add another 30+ people to the queue so there is not much you can do about the long lines or you can get Taxi for 1700 Baht and you could get there before 11.00am and perhaps miss the queues

You do not need to glue it in, just hand it over to the immigration officer with your passport

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

Entry Type Single entry only

Fees USD20 + USD5 (processing charge)

Validity 3 months (starting from the date of issue)

Length of Stay 30 days

Melbourne
Level Contributor
293 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E-visa

The instructions on my evisa said to print two copies, print them out and staple into your passport. I did the crossing last week and the place is full of scammers. Luckily, reading TA had me forewarned. If you can stretch to a cab, I'd recommend it. We left at 5:30am and were sipping cocktails in SR by lunchtime.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: E-visa

Thank for you both!

Is there any recommendation for getting a trusthworthy taxi or taxi company? Where shall I start looking?

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: E-visa

I'll PM you with details

Victoria
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: E-visa

We are Canadian citizens with out a Cambodian Visa. We will be traveling from Bangkok to Siem Reap via taxi (based upon all of advice from posts). Can we get a Visa at Border Immigration (right on the spot?). Do we need one passport photo. Thanks a million, glen colwill (Victoria, British Columbia)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E-visa

glenners,

yes, you can get visa at the border... but it isn't pleasant "adventure": cambodian officials will ask for "extra money". will try to get 1000 baht instead of US$20 and will say "without extra money you will wait for your visa 2-3 hours"...

One more "pro" for e-visa: with e-visa you will visit only 2 points at the border - Thai immigration and Cambodian immigration. Without e-visa you will visit one more office - Cambodian visa office with queue and bribers (see above).

Rhondda, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E-visa

just gor our evisa,it says make 2 copies,staple into passport.when arriving at immigration there will be a counter just for evisa,so here,s hoping

caribbean
Level Contributor
16 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: E-visa

We just came back from our trip to Cambodia in October and definitely it is best to have your E-Visa before your trip, you can get it directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cambodia, at http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/, you get it by email and you dont need to glue it to your passport, simply take it with you, keep in mind that it is a single entry visa. But you will have no problem whatsoever doing it this way, just make one or two copies of the visa once you get, you apply online in the webpage above and there are answers to many questions regarding the visa, hope it helps

Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: E-visa

I am from Australia- just back from Cambodia- used evisa- not only efficient and easy- they sent me a lovely Birthday email while I was in Cambodia which was a lovely surprise :)

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: E-visa

The queue for visas at the border is pretty small (probably because everyone has an evisa or bought one from an agency!)

We were the only people on our bus not to have a visa when we got to the border. Had to queue for Thai immigration. No one in the queue for visas - took about 5 mins. Had to queue again for Cambodian immigration.

Whole thing took around 2 hours, but we got through before most of our bus.

Jon

www.theintrepidexplorers.com