We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable?

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shavertown
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reasonable?

We fly into Siem Reap at 9:30 on Thursday, January 17, 2013. Staying two nights at Golden Temple Hotel and fly out Saturday, January 19 at 15:45.

Here are my thoughts:

Arrange with the hotel to have a Tuk-Tuk meet us at the airport. From the airport direct to Banteay Srey, then Angkor Centre For Conservation in time for their 13:00 tour, then, if time to the Butterfly Center, then to the hotel.

Next day touring Angkor Wat with a private guide. Shall I book the guide through the hotel or have yesterday's Tuk-Tuk driver find one?

Visit the National Museum the morning of our departure day. I know it would be better to do it the first day, but I don't think the timing works.

One of our two evenings visit ACODO orphanage to watch the kids dance at 16:30.

Reasonable itinerary? Book the Temple guide through the hotel or with the Tuk-Tuk driver?

Thanks.

sydney
Level Contributor
65 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reasonable?

Hi

I was interested in your comments regarding ACODO. I would like to donate goods when I am in Siem Reap early next year and I would prefer the kids to be at home at night, not entertaining tourists. Do you have an opinion on The Ponheary Ly Foundation? Or is there anywhere else you would suggest?

Thanks for your time,

Vivienne

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,236 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reasonable?

Hi Viv,

I'm a big fan of the PLF (much to the consternation of some others on this forum!) They do amazing work getting kids into school, keeping them there, suporting teachers to do their jobs better (pay and training), porviding equipment (like computers) and a whole raft of other things. Sadly, there are some here who take exception to the work they do and the way they do it.

However, rather than just turn up with a bunch of stuff, can I suggest you contact them and see what they need, or whether the things you plan to bring will be useful for them. Several years ago the kids at my school raised money which was spent buying bikes... so money is always good. They have a website (which no doubt you have already seen) and a facebook page, so contacting them shouldn't be hard.

One other thing, sometimes buying locally (as opposed to carting if from home) is a better option - the cash you spend goes into the local economy and spreads the love just a bit further.

have a great trip

cheers

helen

Shavertown
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Reasonable?

Thank you to those who answered.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reasonable?

I think you'll have a better time if you have the same tuktuk driver the whole time, so unless you don't like him, just keep the guy who picks you up. (Why do the honeymoon period twice?)

It sounds like you're in a bit of a rush. one plan would be to arrange for the hotel to send two tuktuks to the airport, one to fetch your luggage and the other to whisk you off to Banteay Srei.

You're going to have to get park tickets, that will add a bit of time into your journey and force you to take "the long way". The good news is a nice tuktuk ride out to Banteay Srei is a lovely way to relax and get into the mood. If you're feeling a bit peckish,. have the driver stop in Preahdak for some num bahn chok on the way out there.

I'd let the hotel arrange the tuktuk for your whole visit and also let them reserve the guide for your touring day. You're coming in high season, best to get that booked now to get a good guide. Leaving it up to a tuktuk driver to find a friend on short notice that time of year might work, might not.

Your itinerary sounds great for a quick trip. Have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reasonable?

Although we took clothes from Australia for the PHL foundation, we did so because we support a number of orphanages in Thailand and India and collect clothes from friends and schools here where we can. However, if you are flush with funds, you can certainly make a double contribution by purchasing the goods in Cambodia for donation to the PHL foundation. We were impressed with the PHL website as well as the recommendation from Leonard. Ofcourse another marvellous way is to donate blood at the Children's Hospital. They have a wonderful video for you to watch while waiting - you won't walk away dry eyed! The conditions are sterile although nothing like you would be used to in your own Western country. We are blood donars here in Melbourne and were more than pleased to see that other westerners had donated blood during their visit to SR. Cambodians do not donate blood and the hospital depends on Westerns to perform this very important function. The hospital will show you a chart where last year only 48 Cambodians donated, but 900+ westerners donated. As a gift you will receive a t-shirt, biscuits and cola cans. We immediately donated the biscuits and cola back to the families in the waiting room. The t-shirts (western sizes) we kept for our memory.

Going to an orphanage to see the children - not a good idea. As the advertising said - they are not zoo animals. Unless you have skills needed by the orphanage and have sufficient amount of time to donate for a project they have, then don't go there, just donate your items at the office or some collection point they may have, eg some of the restaurants support certain projects and will take the donations.

Edited: 12 December 2012, 04:05
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reasonable?

myanmarorphanages.com/wp-content/uploads/201…

17. Re: Reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 21:15